Changing IP addresses

cornbread

Lifetime Supporting Member
I’ve been asked to help move some PLC’s & HMI’s behind a firewall. Part of the move requires assigning new IP addresses on SLC’s, PV+’s and compactlogix. In reading up on the subject I don’t foresee any problem. With that said, I’m hoping this learned forum can point any pit falls I may encounter or things I should look out for.

You most likely are using private ip address ranges now so why do you need to change them. Placing these devices behind a firewall does not require the addresses to be changed.

As jac said if there is a lot of messaging it could be involved if you are not comfortable with setting up messaging.

Any firewall worth having should have DHCP percistance,VLAN's and layer 3 routing. Sounds like the IT guy does not want to work.

Don't forget to look for any data transfers to other plc's or data collection systems. Also look for any apps such as wonderware, Rsview, ??? that get / use data, or access information from these plcs to signal other plcs what's going on.

regards,
james