Thinking of using Pepperl -Fuchs EtherNet Encoder

Rob S.

I am thinking of using a few Pepperl+Fuchs EtherNet Absolute Encoders EVS58 / EVM58 on a new project , and I have a few questions.

1. Have you had any trouble with it losing counts because your network was somewhat large and /or busy ?

2. I am going to be using it with a ControlLogix ( RS Logix 5000). I would imagine it comes up like a generic device and you give it a IP Address , correct ?

Thanks in advance

I used some P & F Device Net absolute encoders on the cranes on the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Not a nice place by the way when the cranes are on top, raining, wind howling etcetera.
Initially had trouble setting up the resolution - it is a bit funny - you have to write the value in a certain way - cannot remember how. Just changing the value does not save it permanently - power done and it reverts to factory set.
Had no problems with the devices except the IP rating seems a bit suss. They got water in them and destroyed them but please consider where they are mounted.
We had to replace them and the price had gone through the roof - finished up using Sick - they were half the price. They also have stood up better to the nasty conditions on top of the bridge with respect to water ingress.

I,ll Second Bob, the biggest downfall of the P&F units is the chance of water ingress etc... I used them on rotating press tables in a damp enviroment and they did,nt last long.. changed to the sick units and had no problems since... they have different types for your network, I used the profibus ones and they were pretty straight forward to set up... I beleive they do ones for devicenet to so thaty may simplyfy things for you !!

Regards

John V

I am interested in the Sick Ethernet Encoder ( AFS / AFM 60 ) but I am having a difficult time finding a manual on the Sick website. Would any of you happen to have the real part number. Also , is the Sick Ethernet encoder easy to bring into a ControlLogix Plc ?

Thanks,

Pepperl+Fuchs does have encoders versions with improved environmental protection (to IP67). The Ethernet model would be EVS58W and EVM58W.

They have example RSLogix program for their Ethernet IP encoders and updated EDS file so you don't have to use the generic Ethernet module. You will need to contact them for the newer EDS file and example program.

The P + F encoders I had that suffered from water ingress were the IP67 types.

Somewhat related Noob question, for harsh condition and position retention, wouldn't it be better to use a resolver instead?

Sick AFM60 with a control logix

Hi Rob S. did you end up interfacing the Sick AFM60 with a control logix, I was looking at using this encoder but there doesnt seem to be a lot of information about it on the sick site. this model looks very similar to the Allen-Bradley 842E at about half the price. (y)