RS Software slow installation.

daba

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am having troubles installing Rockwell Software RSLinx, RSLogix5000, and RSNetworx for DeviceNet.

RSLogix5000 took 14 hours !! And RSNetworx install has just slowed to a snail-pace...

Task Manager is showing me that RSHWare.exe is hogging the CPU and a whopping 100MB of memory.

Is RSHWare.exe an RS software product?

Google seems to suggest it could be corrupt, or infected.

Any ideas anyone, please....

Obviously it shouldn't take THAT long to install. Yes, RSHWare.exe is a Rockwell file. I have it on my system. Offhand I don't know what it does. It's in the RSCommon folder. How are you installing the software? From a CD, zip file?

The zip file could be corrupted, although I would expect it to throw an error and give up rather than slow to a crawl.

How is the hard drive's health? Do you have plenty of empty space, so the file can be unzipped and installed? Is the drive heavily fragmented?

Not sure just thought I would throw out some ideas to check while you wait.

I found it in the same folder, and curious to know what it was I double-clicked it to run it...

2012-03-13_195558.jpg

Obviously the installers use it to register EDS files, but why it is hogging resources so badly I don't know....

I learned recently that when simply upgrading, I can skip the eds file business. They don't get removed when the older version is uninstalled. All these years I have been waiting needlessly to re-register the same large bunch of old eds files over and over again.

On a new installation, I suppose you have to just wait.

Good tip, Okie.

But I'm part-way through RSNetworx install and it isn't going anywhere. Been on the same progress-bar division for about 4 hours....

It isn't actually telling me it is installing EDS files. I'm thinking that the EDS file installation has already occurred, but RSHWare.exe doesn't appear to have been terminated, so the Networx installer still thinks it is installing EDS files.

I might just have a go at terminating the RSHWare.exe process and see what happens.

In the future, extract the files first, then start the installation from the extracted files. Windows is extracting files as it needs them and that slows things quite a bit.

Those packages do take a long time to install but that is way too long.

OG

UPDATE: I might have misunderstood. Sounds like you might have already extracted.

Last edited:
UPDATE: I might have misunderstood. Sounds like you might have already extracted.

Yep, extracted.

I know the hardware installation takes a long time, so I just kick it off and go do something else. For the one that took 14 hours, I'd been to bed, got up, had breakfast etc., and it was still running ! But it did complete eventually...

Well, I bit the bullet and ended the RSHWare.exe process with Task Manager. Just a few seconds later, the RSNetworx installer completed successfully !

My guess is still that the installer didn't terminate RSHWare.exe, but was waiting for it to finish.

I'll post back whether the software has indeed been installed OK.