ADAM-4520, can I use it for Simatic S7-3XX, 2XX

These are very good. I use them all the time between PLC serial cards (RS232) and other devices (RS422/485). Just follow the instructions and all should be well. You will have to configure your Siemens cable correctly and set the unit up to suit the communications.
beerchug

I'm sorry. Can you give me exatly information about connecting Com1(pc)->ADAM-4520->PLC. And by the way, what PLC can I connect whith help one.
I lool at ADAM-4520 and I see there is for RS485, and at other side port RS232. Should I connect RS232 9pin straight to 9pin COM1/pc, or maybe I must do some changing for wiring of cable RS232_9pin->RS232_/RS232_9pin.

Here is a link to the manual for this device. Set up is as per the manual and is very easy.
Adam 4520 Manual
Received an e-mail from Valera. Would rather keep it here Valera for all to see and maybe benefit from the information. Others can also respond.
beerchug

Last edited:
OK, I have read one. Some questions,
Power supply must get from PLC ? Maybe there 5V DC, I think so.
Page 4 manual, there is diagram for connection, and usually RS232 cable connect 2->3, 3->2, but here 2->2, 3->. And ADAM have set 9bit 10bit 12bit, but I think I will need for 8bit setting.

When I use them we have 24VDC always available. That is one thing I like about the device, IT IS 24VDC POWERED. 9 bits is 8 data bits and 1 stop bit so if you have 8 data bits and 1 stop bit your mode is 9 bits. Standard is 10 bits - 8 data bits and 2 stop bits but 10 bit will also work with 9 data bita and 1 stop bit. It is the total bit count that determines where the DIP switch should be set.
The manual clearly states power supply 10-30 VDC not 5 V. I you reade the data sheet the basic configuration hook-up states "typical layouts". Nothing is typical with industrial equipment, particularly PLCs.
It does not matter that normally the connection is 2-3, 3-2 etc. Many industrial devices do not conform to the expected computer style of RS232. Unfortunately there are many variants of RS232C. Trust the connection diagrams. They are right. I am quite accustomed to seeing variants and if you trust the manuals it will work.
beerchug

Valera,

you could try to use this converter for S7-200, but I have strong doubts about it's useability for S7-300.

The PC/PPI converter from Siemens, used for programming the S7-200, is indeed a fairly simple, data-driven RS232 to RS485 converter. The highest speed used on this converter is, if I'm not mistaken, 19200 or 38400 baud, while the default speed for PPI is 9600 baud. The speed is always the same on both sides of the converter.

The PC/MPI converter used to program the S7-300 is something completely different. It's not only a RS232/RS485 converter, but it also handles some protocol conversion and speed buffering. This is because the speed on the MPI network is defaulted to 187.5 kbaud, which is an unusual setting for RS232. The older converters (such as the ones I still use) are limited to 19.2 kbaud at the RS232 side, while the newer ones go up to 38.4 kbaud (or even over 1Mbaud if you use the USB to MPI converter).

Should you find a way to use your converter to program an S7-300, I'll be glad to hear from you, since I get this kind of question from trainees from time to time.

Kind regards,

Hi Folks,

Right now my computer is equiped with CP5611 my question is what is the PG/PC to S7300 CPUs programming cable do I need. One thing more if I use the serial port of my PC what is the seimens cable part no. can I used.
Besides we have also S7200 models, some have MPI port and some dont have.What is the right cable should I Used too.

Lovington Dela Cruz
Shell Lubricants