Panelview Plus Idle Bit

JRoss

Lifetime Supporting Member
Any gurus out there know if the Panelview Plus has a way to monitor inactivity that can be seen from the PLC? I'm handling security on the PLC, and I'd like to add an automatic logoff feature. I can't find anything, so I'm planning to just monitor screen changes and so forth.

Project Settings > Runtime Tab:

Check "Enable Auto Logout", pick the screen to go to and the duration of inactivity.

I saw that, but I'm handling security on the PLC, not on the HMI, so that won't work for me. I need a bit that I can monitor from the PLC that will tell me when the PV+ is not being used. I've done this with a Mitsubishi GOT1000.

My bad. Under Global Connections you can setup a tag from Remote Display Number and monitor which screen the panelview is currently on.

edit: So I guess to answer the thread title, there isn't a bit that tells you this unfortunately.

Last edited:
It depends on your definition of inactivity. If a screen doesn't change? Or if no one changes a value? No screen touches?

On our remote HMIs we power them with a relay, good for 30 minutes. That is started by the operator flipping a switch. You can monitor and control HMI activity that way, if the HMI doesn't need to be on all the time.

The PanelView Plus isn't good at security at all, and there is no activity monitor either. You can't even see if the screen saver is active.

Best bet, if you are controlling security from the PLC end, it probably means that you don't have a lot of controls that are secured. In a situation like that, with Control/compact logix level PLC's, the best method I've found is to start a "Logout" timer when the secure password is enabled in the PLC.

Then every (Secure) PVPlus write to the PLC, use the Enter connection, and Enter key handshaking. Use the handshake to reset your timer.

For digital writes, just put a reset command for the timer in series with your logic.

PITA? Yep, but it works.

Ideally I'd like to know when there are screen touches. That's what the Mitsubishi HMI gives me. But since I don't apparently have that option, I shall go to plan B, which is essentially what rdrast suggests. Thanks everybody.

Beginning with FTME 8.2, there are enhanced inactivity tags that you can use under Project Settings->Enhanced Inactivity Settings. You can specify inactivity time limit as a PLC tag and monitor time remaining using a PLC tag.