S7-200 Communication Problem

tgoulding

I'm having problems trying to communicate with an S7-20O, the CPU is a 214. I need to upload the PLC code but have been unable to connect to it. I have a Siemens Field PG and have tried using a USB-PPI cable (6ES7 901-3DB30-0XA0), an RS232/PPI cable (6ES7 901-3CB30-0XA0) and also via the MPI port using an MPI cable. Have been unsucessful with all. Have used all three cable on CPU 226 and each established communication. Am I doing something wrong or is there something else needed to communicate with a CPU 214. Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

Some things I can think about:
  • Have you tried on different baud rates? CPU214 might be limited to 9k6 only, it depends on the version.
  • CPU22X can communicate with a 11-bit frame (start bit, 8 data bits, parity bit and 1 stop bit) or an 10-bit frame (no parity bit), whereas the CPU21X does only communicate with a 11-bit frame.

Kind regards,

Hi jvdcande,

Yes to both your suggestions. I tried at 9K6 and other baud rates, also set with 11-bit frame, both to no effect. I've actually tried on two seperate CPU 214. One got no communications at all, the other ocassionally had some communication but would bomb out when trying to upload. This happened when communicating through MPI port.

A couple of quick questions.

With the USB to PPI cable you need to make sure USB is selected in the PG/PC interface settings.

With the RS232 PPI cable you need to have the correct com port selected, I usually use scan all baud rates. Also I believe dip switch 5 on the cable must be on for multi master mode.

Have you tried connecting while the PLC is in STOP mode? If the program uses the ports for comms with other devices you will not be able to get a connection.

If your cables can work with other CPU's then sounds like your COM Port has failed

Can you use someone's cable?? the 6ES7 901-3DB30-0XA0 should work with that CPU

You said that the CPU says made in USA? I have only seen German and China CPU's the China part numbers end in cn

What is the part number of the CPU?