6200 to RS Logix5k

sboudreau

Hi All,

I have a customer who wants to replace his PLC5 with a Control Logix PLC. I have the program they built using 6200. They no longer have the 6200 software and neither do I. Now i converted the program from 6200 to RS Logix5, then from RS Logix5 to RS Logix5k. I did this following some steps I found on the forum. The discriptors tranfered from 6200 to 5 but not from 5 to 5000. I just spent some time and entered the descriptors manually. Now the problem im having is it seems like the Addressing didnt tranfer correctly. I have some digital input on slot 0, when slot 0 isnt a digital input card. I have some digital outs on slot 7 when slot 7 isnt a digital inpuit card and so on. I reveiwed my program in RSL5 and RSL5K and it seems like this happend when transfering from 6200 to rslogix5. Does anyone know where i could have went wrong.

Thanks, Any help is appreciated.

Maybe you can use the alias function.
There are help files about converting a PLC 5 program in a ControlLogix version.
I don't know what you meen with 6200......

Hi All,

I have a customer who wants to replace his PLC5 with a Control Logix PLC. I have the program they built using 6200. They no longer have the 6200 software and neither do I. Now i converted the program from 6200 to RS Logix5, then from RS Logix5 to RS Logix5k. I did this following some steps I found on the forum. The discriptors tranfered from 6200 to 5 but not from 5 to 5000. I just spent some time and entered the descriptors manually. Now the problem im having is it seems like the Addressing didnt tranfer correctly. I have some digital input on slot 0, when slot 0 isnt a digital input card. I have some digital outs on slot 7 when slot 7 isnt a digital inpuit card and so on. I reveiwed my program in RSL5 and RSL5K and it seems like this happend when transfering from 6200 to rslogix5. Does anyone know where i could have went wrong.

Thanks, Any help is appreciated.

I've done a few of these the old fashion way. Retyping .

The octal addressing of the PLC 5 always messed things up, and thats probably where your problems are.

I don't believe you went wrong - the tool converts quite a bit but there will always be some recoding/fixing. In my experience, every rung will have to be compared against the original to be sure that the design intent made it through.

it seems like the Addressing didnt tranfer correctly.
On the PLC5, each slot could use "1/2-slot", "1-slot", or "2-slot" addressing. Which type determined the actual I/O address. So if your conversion program did not assume the same addressing scheme, then your I/0 addresses will be shifted.

I don't know what you meen with 6200......
That was an early version of the Allen Bradley PLC5 programming software, pre-Windows, pre-mouse, pre-everything!

Last edited:
When doing such a conversion, I always question if converting is really the right thing to do. When you convert a program, you convert the existing problems PLUS you introduce a whole new set of conversion-related problems. Plus there are newer, faster, easier ways of doing things than there used to be. Often, it makes sense to just simply start over...

One thing you will probably notice right away is that the conversion is just simply UGLY. Converting to 5000 doesn't take advantage of many of the new-fangled features available.

When doing such a conversion, I always question if converting is really the right thing to do. When you convert a program, you convert the existing problems PLUS you introduce a whole new set of conversion-related problems. Plus there are newer, faster, easier ways of doing things than there used to be. Often, it makes sense to just simply start over...

One thing you will probably notice right away is that the conversion is just simply UGLY. Converting to 5000 doesn't take advantage of many of the new-fangled features available.

Absolutely. But it depends if you're upgrading a running piece of equipment or the machine is not being used and you have time to test new logic. It seems most of the time I'm doing a weekend upgrade of a running piece of equipment so just successfully getting through the conversion is a blessing come Monday morning.

I have been part of two projects that converted a PLC5 to a ControlLogix. At the time, the reason for going through the conversion process was sound, but looking back I think it would have been better had we re-wrote the entire program. But with any project, you don't get all the "right" information during sales. During commissioning we got "oh this never worked", "this was removed", "this works but not well"... you don't get that info until your balls deep into commissioning.

I thought the conversion itself wasn't too bad. I'd say the tools get you to about 80%, then you have to manual figure out the rest. But, a lot is known about what doesn't convert:

Block transfers
PID configurations

But still you need to test, test, test, test.....

We had a day to swap the processors and be up and running, and sure enough we were. Nobody in operations had a clue really. So in the sense of upgrading the hardware because it is outdated, the conversion will get you there. But if you need to consider any programming changes in addition, I think the money is better spend doing a complete re-write than trying to convert.

Looking back I wish we would re-written it, I think we would have provided an even better product for close to the same price. But, as I said there were reasons we did it this way, hind-sight....

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies, i appreciate everyones help. Sorry i havent been able to reply since I posted my question, I was onsite for the past few days commissioning a few things.

Since reading all these replies im starting to second guess if I should re-write the program rather then convert and fix the issues.

I managed to find a copy of the 6200 software and open the original program. Now i do see that the adressing transfered over the same way. I think the issue was me, I was under the impression that slot 0 was the CPU and the other slots followed, but I just found that the CPU occupies the left most slot, but it isnt considered slot 0. After reviewing all my adresses it seems like everything does match. Now i must figure out these BTR and BTW. I did read through the forum and found some good posts from previous dates, i will go through those first and if I need more help i will re-post.

The only other question i have for now, The adressing for the Digital inputs is as follows. I.0/0...I.0/7 then I.0/10...I.0/17. When I Fix the adressing in RSLogix5000 must InputI.0/10 be changed to I.0/8 and I.0/11 changed to I.0/9 and so on.

Thansk Again for the help, its greatly appreciated