How to power a DH485 port on PV550

nightline

Gents,

I've a new Panelview 550 with DH485 communication ports.
Normal is this port powered by the PLC.
But is it possible to power it by an external power-supply, so I can download the program on my desk.
On which pen is what kind of power?

Thanks in advance!

Jack

It would help us help you if you posted the complete catalog number of your PV.

Another option is to use a memory card to upload/download your program. See memory card PDF.

See PDF below for info about your question.

Last edited:
The complete catalog-number is 2711-K5A2.
I know the option with the memory card, but I had never luck with this option. As far as I know, it needs to be done with a special type of memory card....

Sorry, Terry this doesn't work, even RSLinx can't see the panel on this way. It need also power over the DH485 cable / connection.
I've called with the Rockwell help desk and they confirm this, but can't say which pins need to be powered.
The only thing they say is connect the panel to a SLC PLC.
The problem is that all machines are running, and I've no spare PLC.

How are you trying to connect to the PV?

What cables and hardware are you using?

Does you PC have a real serial port?

What driver are you using in RSLInx?

You can also power the terminal using a 1747-C(10, 11, 20) cable and the 1747-NP1 wall plug power supply. They won't give you the pinout because it is INCREDIBLY EASY to blow the panel up if it is wrong. Use the cables they show in the documentation.

Ref manual at Allen-Bradley

Page 193 - NO POWER PINOUTS
Page 197 - Hookup for programming when not connected to a PLC

Last edited:
How are you trying to connect to the PV?

What cables and hardware are you using?

Does you PC have a real serial port?

What driver are you using in RSLInx?

I'm using an 1747-UIC, my laptop has no serial port, and the cable between the 1747-UIC and the panel is a 1747-C10 ser B.

I've tried several drivers: DF1, UIC driver
Which one do I need, the stories tells different things?

Last edited:
I had to use a straight through serial cable to Allen Bradley cable and configure the comm port. The slc is then offline with the PanelView.

Thanks guys, I gone order a power supply and a 1747-C13 cable and try again.

You don't need that power supply when using a 1747-UIC. It's only needed when using a 1747-PIC.

The 1747-UIC gets it's power from the USB port on your PC.
The 1747-PIC needs power from the processor or PV.

In fact the difference between the 1747-C10 and the 1747-C13 cable is the C13 cable does not have the power lines.

Last edited: