Profinet Fault

thomas1000

Hi all, is there anybody out there that can help me.

I have a frustrating intermittent fault on my automation system which comprises of a S7 315 2DP/PN CPU a small Profinet Network that consists of a Siemens G120 Inverter and a stand-alone dual AS-i Master Controller. The network length is approximately 1.5mtrs long with the correct Profinet cable and RJ45 connectors. The Profinet Network configuration utilises the software default settings.

The CPU goes into stop with a bus fault for about 3 to 4 seconds before going back into run mode. On occasions the bus fault does not reset and the only way of reinstating the network is to carry out a system reset on the AS-i module. This fault has no pattern to it, it may occur several times at say approximately five minute intervals and then it may not happen for a few hours.

The error text message displayed in the cpu messages and HMI is as follows;

ID 76,

PN device 1 on PN system 100:Failure
Name: This refers to the AS-i Master Module

Is there any way of finding out any more information as to where the fault lies.

Thanks for any response.

If the CPU is going into stop, how is is being restarted?

My limited experience with AS-i revealed that it was very easy to introduce faults unless the Inverter + motor + power cabling was connected and screened exactly as the manual and the AS-i cable was well separated.

The cpu restarts as soon as the bf led clears. This happends after a few seconds and if it does not I have to reset the as-i controller.

This is odd.
I know that an S7 CPU may fault if there is a system error and the corresponding error-OB isnt programmed.
But that the CPU by itself goes back to Run mode after the fault condition clears, that I have never seen.

Look in the diagnostics buffer. It should give some hints to why the CPU goes to stop, and also some hint to why it goes to run.

edit: I have seen very short loss of power to cause the CPU to go what looks like fault and then automatically to run again. But not that it stays faulted and then goes to run.

Last edited:
A fault in a PROFINET IO device can be caused by a missing or incorrectly configured device name. In the hardware configurations tool, the menu item PLC -> Ethernet -> Verify device name can be used to check to status of the device.

If you have the OB82, OB83, OB85, and OB86 emty in the CPU it will not go into stop on faliure on PROFINET node.

Have you checked the AS-I network and slaves for errors?
It may be an error in an AS-i slave, which gives this error. AS-I master sends errors to the PLC and therefore the fault may be in the AS-I network.

The most common errors in an AS-I network is:
  • EMC
  • Segment length is longer than 100 m
  • Insufficient connection (e.g. to terminals)
  • Incorrect earthing of the machine and/or the Master.
  • Observe the installation guidelines of the frequency inverter according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
  • The AS-I cable needs to be routed separately from power cables – even in a cabinet.
  • Damaged slaves