Sampling for a load cell

mgulbrandson

Hello again, I need a nudge in the right direction about making my program sample the weight passing across a load cell. I am building a carton checkweigher.I have written a program that will take one sample when the carton makes the photo eye. This works but my weights are not accurate. What I want to do is use one photo cell start the weigh cycle and another end the weigh cycle, then do an average of the samples it has. I have enclosed my program. I am using a DL06 plc, and a eztouch screen. My load cells are being summed together and go through a scaime CPJ signal conditioner. Thanks in Advance

The mechanical design is going to be the most critical thing for accuracy and repeat-ability.
To prove the mechanical design, you should be able to use a test weight with the conveyor not running and get the same summed value when you place the weight at various points across its length and width. You may not be able to get accurate results at every point, but you need an area in the center from which you can take a number of samples for averaging.

Next, you may consider how to set up this area for sampling when the conveyor is running. I replaced the control system on an in motion check-weigher for cartons but had the benefit of starting with a proven mechanical design.

Since I am weighing a variety of case sizes and weights, I used a graph on the HMI to show the summed weight value as boxes travel across it. I record these samples every 10ms in the PLC using an array of real numbers and used a scatter graph in the Red Lion G306 to display them. On that graph, I superimposed two vertical lines which represent the area to begin and end the samples used for the final case weight calculation.

This way, the technician can adjust the rather narrow band used for the final weight calculation by moving those vertical lines with the graph as a visual aid.

I only used one photocell at the leading edge to begin the recording of samples, and those vertical lines from the HMI end up as timer presets to set when to start and end the averaging for the final weight value.

I used a Compactlogix PLC with a Hardy Instruments scale (HI-1769-WS) module to do a lot of the grunt work for me at high speeds. I also used their IT summing board for its ability to perform corner balancing by allowing each of the four load cells to be isloated. My scale has adjustment screws at each load cell so you can get them all to register their "fair share" of the weight.

I think I posted a screen shot somewhere of my graph screen which may help you understand what I am trying to describe. I will hunt for it.

scale_graph.PNG

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I have proved my scale platform works. I have accurate weights
When the case is sitting still. What my biggest problem is my shoestring budget to do
This. I work in the produce industry and what i am trying to do is make a carton checkscale
that can be used for the small guys that dont have the budget for what is on the market.
I have looked at the scaime enod system tonight i will look at what you mentioned. Thanks

I have proved my scale platform works. I have accurate weights
When the case is sitting still.
Measuring a moving weight is much more difficult. It using involves taking a bunch of readings over some time period and then throwing out the ones that are above or below High and Low limits, then averaging the remaining readings.

Yes i understand this. That is why i am asking my orginal question. I want to start my weigh cycle and make numerous readings and get the average. I am looking for what type of logic in directsoft to do this.

mgulbrandson,

It sounds like you are building a weight verification scale to confirm product weight for resale. If this is the case, i urge you top stop and get with the legal department. Weigh scales used for the purpose of certifying a product for resacle must be certified. i ran into this several years ago when i worked for another company.

regards,
james

I want to start my weigh cycle and make numerous readings and get the average. I am looking for what type of logic in directsoft to do this.
If it were me, I would try to use some some math equations and some stored memory values to calculate the average. That always worked for me in Directsoft.

Do you need examples?

If this is for resale by weight then it must be a NTEP approved weighing system. NTEP is the UL of the weight and measurement world. While they do not directly enforce the rules your local rep will refer to them just like UL. This means this system must be tested and approved by a NTEP approved testing group.

This Web Page will give you a contact in your area:

http://www.ncwm.net/content/state-directors