Reading Material

plc mark

Can anyone rcommend training ( probably paying out of pocket) to learn PLCs?? I watched enough tutorials on the web and understand the basic ladder logic. ie toggling a sw, writting to a bit and scan order, etc. Now I'd like to get a little more advanced. Some suggest creating a state machine 1st. Trail and error sure doesn't work!! Can't understand how you go from a state machine to RLL. Tried something simple like having 3 different colored lamps ( red, yellow, green) and lighting them one at a time for 3 sec. Now I need to understand State machine to RLL.
I have over 20 yrs test equipment backgrd. ( SW and HWD)
Thanks

Get yourself a PLC Simulator program that will run on your personal computer. Then you can work student problems until you understand what is going on. LogixPro is a good one for the Allen Bradley RSLogix PLCs, and there are many more.

Because there are now so many different brands and models, you first should decide on a model of PLC that you will most likely use later, and train on that one first. There is no such thing as a "generic" PLC, but there is generic PLC training (which will not qualify you to program ANY plcs).

My Co bought an Automationdirect DL06 PLC and 3 lamps. I watched the 11 part series ( by Ron Beauford) from Allen Bradley on the web. Never would have gotten as far as I did w/o it. The books at the top of the page are good but I need some of part 1 and some of part 2. So I may just buy them. Thanks for the suggestions...

I agree with Lancie1. LogixPro is a very good place to start. Its under $100 and has some good example project to work through. Also research using grafcet,it will help you learn to structure your programs before you write them. Good luck