New to PLCs; Connecting via RS232 Serial Port

Please pardon my ignorance. I am new to the PLC world. Right out of the box I am experienceing a problem simply coneecting to my "training box" PLC...PLEASE HELP!

Info:

PLC=
AB SLC500/05 - 1747-L551 (OS 1747-OS501)
EtherNet Address 00:00:BC:38:45:93

USB2SER Adaptor=
KeyspanUSB 19H Driver: Ver 3.4

RS Linx=
2.55.00.16 CPR9SR2

Linx driver settings=
Com4
Device: SLC-CH0/Micro/Panelview
Baud:19200
Station:00
Parity:None
Error:CRC
Stop:1
Protocol:Full Duplex

Serenum.sys=
Ver. 5.1.2600.5512

Windows=
WindowsXP Pro 2002 SP3

Computer=
Dell Latitude
Prossesor: i5-2520m CPU 2.5 GHz
2.88 GB Memmory

I have read several of the posts that I was able to find via google. I have made no headway.

When I configure the the RSLinx driver manually the scanning monitor reports "Browsing- node 0 found.....node 1 not found"

If I try to use the auto configure feature I get a "failed to find baud and parity" error.

I have read some material concerning the serenum.sys file causing trouble. I have not been able to determine which version is conclusively the SP2 version. Nor have I been able to find a site where I could download the appropriate version. To be honest I am not even sure that is the problem or the appropriate solution.

I just want to connect to the PLC I can hammer out other problems later.

If I can connect directly to the PLC via ethernet that would work just as well for me. I have had no success on that front either. All of the posts I have read on that subject seem to indicate that I need to make the RS232 connection first and then I can find the IP address for the PLC.

Please help.

What cable are you using between the USB adapter and the SLC. It should be a
null-modem cable.

Pin 2 to 3
Pin 3 to 2
Pin 5 to 5

The serenum.sys issue only affects the DH-485 drivers as far as I know (not the DF1 driver).

I agree that connecting serially first to find/set the IP address might be simpler, although the Ethernet gurus may have a software tool to help you find the IP address through an Ethernet connection.

You posted a lot of information which is good, but the one question remaining is your serial cable.

The Keyspan USA-19HS is proven to work well, and in my experience does allow RSLinx autoconfigure to succeed. And you are sure it is configured for COM4 on your machine?

So, in my opinion, the most likely causes: a) your serial cable is incorrect or b)faulty, c) the 5/05 Channel 0 port is not configured for DF1 or d) faulty.

Last edited:
Mickey, I did not have a null modem cable. Ran to radio shack and bought a null modem adapter for $12.99 plugged it in and RSLinx recognized the PLC instantly. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! and Thank you OkiePC and jrwb4gbm for your replies as well! I need all the help I can get.

Mickey, I did not have a null modem cable. Ran to radio shack and bought a null modem adapter for $12.99 plugged it in and RSLinx recognized the PLC instantly. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! and Thank you OkiePC and jrwb4gbm for your replies as well! I need all the help I can get.

Your welcome.