Read tag from PLC5 to ML1400

rta53

Lifetime Supporting Member
I need to read one analog tag located in a PLC5/40C 1.5 that has an ethernet card installed. I need to do this over ethernet to a Micrologix 1400. Is this possible and would it require programming in both processors? I would like to be able to do this without making any changes to the PLC5 program.

Very likely yes.

The MicroLogix 1400 supports messaging over Ethernet to PLC-5, SLC-5/05, other MicroLogix, and ControlLogix using the "EtherNet/IP" application protocol.

The qualifier is that some older PLC-5E and 1785-ENET "sidecar" modules don't support the "EtherNet/IP" protocol, only the older PLC-5 specific "CSPv4" protocol.

See if you can determine the Series letter and firmware revision of the 1785-ENET card. Series A Rev D and later, and all Series B modules support EtherNet/IP.

As a first test, use the TCPing utility (elifulkerson.com) to see if the PLC-5 will accept a TCP Connection on Port 44818. The embedded web page on the 1785-ENET probably also lists the firmware revision.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure of the Series of the Enet card but if it does support EIP how would I set up the message in the Micrologix?

Easier option would be to use a DataStation Plus LE from Red Lion. No programming would be needed for both PLC's. Talk DF1 to the PLC5 and L5K to the newer PLC. Find your local Red Lion guy and have him come demo this with his hardware.

Thanks,
Joe_WaZoo

The Data Station does look like an option, unfortunately I don't have a lot of time. Have to get this done this week which is why I was hoping to use existing components.