Remote PLC Configuration

Roy Matson

I have been asked to make a few simple programming changes to an Allen Bradley PLC that resides on the other side of the country.

I have been told that it's possible to go on-line via the cell network, is this even possible and if so could someone recommend a pair of modems or a cellphone with data link etc.

The Rockwell software resides on my laptop on this side of the continent.

Someone would monitor progress at the other side, shut down the equipment for safety etc.

The preferred connection to the PLC would be through an existing ethernet switch.

Thanks in Advance

Roy

You can use a unit like this **** http://www.industrialnetworking.com/Manufacturers/****/****-VPN-Router-with-Cellular-Modem-EW4620A

Just make sure the air card you choose is compatible. If they already have something like this then you really just need the vpn info. It is jsut like it being connected toa ethernet network jsut slower.

Most units your usb or express card air card plugs in. Some wired / wireless routers have this option also jsut so the air card can be shared easily.