Need help setting IP for controller using BOOTP/DHCP Server 2.3

kandymann

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hardware:
1769-L32E CompactLogix Controller

Connection:
Ethernet from PC port to controller port

Here is what I am doing and what the result is.

I am trying to assign my controller an IP and open up a communications path to the controller using RSWho

Using BOOTP/DHCP Server 2.3,
I click tools, network settings, and input my subnet mask (255.255.255.0)

Two MAC addresses appear and one is the controller's MAC address. check

So then I assign an IP for the controller with the controller's MAC address and then I add this to the 'relation list'
Once that is done, I simply disable the BOOTP/DHCP in order to permanently assign this configuration to the controller.

***Here is where I am having a problem***
I get a communication error:

"Failed to complete the requested operation,
See status bar for further information"

Ok so I looked at the status bar and it says the IP was assigned to the device. Weird but ok, I am not sure why I had a failure to complete the requested operation.

The (MS) Module Status indicator is no longer blinking green (indicating NO IP was assigned) and it is solid green (an IP has been assigned). But now the (NS) Network Status indicator is flashing green (idicating no CIP connections are established.

I opened RSWho to add an Ethernet/IP driver and chose to browse the remote subnet and then input my IP and Subnet.
There is still no communications path in RSWho.

Can you all help me figure out what I have done wrong or what I have not yet done in order to complete this frustrating little problem??

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Kandy

Is the other MAC ID that shows up in the BOOTP/DHCP Utility that of your computer ? If your PC doesn't have an IP address it can't communicate with anything.

In general, I set my computer to a Static IP address that's on the same subnet as the controller will be on, and it always works.

Is the other MAC ID that shows up in the BOOTP/DHCP Utility that of your computer ? If your PC doesn't have an IP address it can't communicate with anything.

In general, I set my computer to a Static IP address that's on the same subnet as the controller will be on, and it always works.

The other MAC address is an address for: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller (It's basically an ethernet network card)

So yeah I figured it out.

I have a static IP but I didnt use the same subnet.

Thanks Ken

It works like a charm now