High Speed Camera

jprindle

Do any of you guys use a high speed camera for troubleshooting machinery? I am looking to get one that we can use to see a problem with one of our machines, and need a place to start. It does not have to be anything too fancy, but I would like something that can go at least 1000 fps.

Any suggestions on what to use and where to get it would be appreciated :)

A few of our customers have 20/20 Hindsight (and similar) cameras, and they can be extremely helpful in troubleshooting. I'll bet these systems aren't cheap though.

A while ago, I looked into point-and-shoot cameras like the Casio EX-F1, which can shoot up to 1200 FPS, but at that speed, the image size is TINY!... :rolleyes:

🍻

-Eric

A big yes.
I use 20 20 Hindsite. Expensive, but sometimes the only way.

I have used a Walmart CAM duct taped to the frame. It worked very well for the issue that we had.

I hired a high speed camera some years ago and discovered how important it is to have the correct lighting to go with the camera.

LD brought up an overlooked point. Photography is all about the gathering of light. Setup is all important. You can plan on adding lighting, sometimes indirect, and blocking the plant lighting. Thousands of dollars will not overcome a bad setup.
A high speed camera is simply a good lens and a ton of memory.
Some software is better than others but it all comes down to light and memory.

Not a true high speed camera, but I needed one in a hurry during a commissioning project a few years back, bought a Fuji Finepix HS10 for a few hundred dollars from the local camera store, don't think we would have found the problem without out. 1000 frames per second needs a lot of light, but at 480fps and a 500w spotlight we could see what we needed to see. Only drawbacks was it doesn't have a the ability to overlay a timer on the footage, and it only records in 30 sec bursts. Looks like there are a few cameras in the Casio Xilim range at the same price point
If I was doing it regularly I'd invest in some quality battery powered lights with a magnetic mount.