Data type

david90

In RSLOGIX 500, do you consider the TIMER or COUNTER data file to be a data type like boolean, integer or float?

A counter element in the C5-COUNTER data file comprises of boolean (DN,CU,CD etc.) and integer (ACC, PRE etc) data types. With this said, should I consider the counter as a data type?

When you get right down to it the 'bit' is the lowest data type. Everything else is built from it.

The basic data types provided by a computer/PLC maker are those for which there are instruction which treat the object as a unit.

Yes the boolean, integer and float can be tested and operated upon by ladder logic and math instructions. These are sometimes classified as 'atomic' data types.

But the Timer and Counter each have instructions which treat them as a single unit. That becomes the true test. these are sometimes considered as 'structured' data types.

Higher level process, like RSLogix 5000, allow you to formulate your own complex data types (UDTs) and even create instructions (AOIs) which can treat them as units of information.

When you get right down to it the 'bit' is the lowest data type. Everything else is built from it.

The basic data types provided by a computer/PLC maker are those for which there are instruction which treat the object as a unit.

Yes the boolean, integer and float can be tested and operated upon by ladder logic and math instructions. These are sometimes classified as 'atomic' data types.

But the Timer and Counter each have instructions which treat them as a single unit. That becomes the true test. these are sometimes considered as 'structured' data types.

Higher level process, like RSLogix 5000, allow you to formulate your own complex data types (UDTs) and even create instructions (AOIs) which can treat them as units of information.

That, sir, is one of the best answers I have read anywhere, especially the phrase I emboldened. (y)