Configuring / setting up hardware - Siemens ET200s

dotolee

Hi there. I'm new to the Siemens world. I'm trying to set up the PLC using the STEP 7 Software. Ultimately, after I've created a configuration that represents what I have hardware-wise, I want to create a simple program that will let me energize an output that will supply 24V to a motor.
I'm buried in Siemens manuals... and I think I'm a little lost. I'll give you some background info on what I've done so far...I think I need confirmation that what I've done so far is correct, and I also need some help understanding how the addressing works.

Based on my limited reading, it sounds like I need to create a hardware configuration and then download it to the PLC.

I've been able to assign an IP Address to the PLC - I used the browse feature and it found the MAC address of my CPU.
Then I modified the ethernet properties on it. Although the IP addreess has been assigned, i know it doesn't persist the changes because if i shut the PLC down and restart, none of the changes have been saved. I guess that's where I need to be able to download a HW configuration...Is this correct?
Also, is it ok that my programming PC is NOT plugged into the PLC directly? I have both the PLC and the programming PLC plugged into a switch on a common network.

Somehow, I've managed to upload a configuration from the PLC to my step 7 project. It seems like i have two configurations, on ONLINE and one OFFLINE.
What i've noticed is that when I am online and I double click on my input or output modules, I get the following error message: "The information from the CPU about the status of the selected module cannot be evaluated". But then when i switch to offline mode, and I try to open either the CPU or any module by double clicking on it, I get the following error:
"Unable to make the changes. Save your changes in another application".

Is this supposed to happen?

Also, I need to understand how the addressing works.
Does Q stand for output? and I for input?
So if I wanted to energize output number 1 on my 8DO 24vDC output module would I somehow need to reference Q2.0? (in the hardware overview, it shows my DO module and under Q address it has "2.0..2.7")

Sorry for the many questions but I'm very green with Siemens PLCs and Plcs in general.

Thanks.

Exactly what CPU type do you have ?
And if you use an ethernet CP, then what type is it ?
And post as much information as possible, including exact type numbers.

Exactly what CPU type do you have ?
And if you use an ethernet CP, then what type is it ?
And post as much information as possible, including exact type numbers.

cpu = 6es7 151-87b00-0ab0
8 DO module = 6es7 132-4bf00-0aa0
8 DI module = 6es7 131 4bf00-0aa0
profisafe module = 6es7 138-4fc01-0ab0

I'm not sure i understand what you mean by ethernet "CP"... I've used the profinet port on the CPU to connect to my switch.

OK, it is an IM151-8F CPU with onboard PN ports.
I guess 6ES7151-8FB00-0AB0 and not 6ES7151-87B00-0AB0.

You do all your configuration offline, you save and compile, and then you download to the CPU. Then your HW config is permanently set. It does not revert by itself.

It is OK to use a switch.

"Q" are outputs. "I" are inputs.
To address the 1st output on the module with the byte assignment 2, you have to address "Q2.0" in the user program.

making changes offline

thanks for the explanation of the process. appreciate that.
i tried to create a new step 7 program, added the simatic 300 cpu and all my other modules.
assigned ip address...
saved and compiled. downloaded.
and now i can go online!
but its showing an error message with my safety module saying "there is a channel error". Channel 0: Parameter assignment error.
the status of the module reads "faulty module (diagnostic interrupt detected)".
the only thing i did was assign a password for the module when i was prompted.

i'm also googling this error to see what comes up

thanks.

Last edited:
Hello
I am also getting that last error on an intermitant basis.
My profisafe module is 6es7 138-4fb03-0ab0

There is nothing connected to the module, but sometimes when powering up, the error appears. :confused:

Dont know much about F-CPUs.
Maybe the error text points to that there is no F-program ?

I suggest that for first time use of a Siemens function or device, use a sample project and follow it to the letter.

You need safety integrated to work with the F series CPUs.
You may also get the message that a module is faulty if the configuration expects to see both channels active and there's no live inputs on that module.
You definetely need a safety program and also to compile prior to downloading to the CPU.
The compile creates blocks needed for the operation.
When you open up your hardware configuration you can select the module and go into properties where you can activate channels or pacify.
Look into that for your "parameter" fault message.

Attached is the error screen.
I seem to have got it working by going to "Edit Safety Program" in Options and Compiling + Downloading again.
I've not seen the random error since, but watch this space!

There is a test program running for the output module in safety blocks FB900,FB901 & FB902. (I'm not sure these are the best numbers to use, I can't find any guidance, but 900+ seemed out of the way. What numbers do you guys use?).

Intermitant-error.jpg