Wireless Comm. Between s7-300s

Voren

Hello,

I have a s7-300 CPU on a stationary panel but also have another one bound to a crane moving back and forward (max. 50 meters away form the stationary CPU).

It doesn't seem very possible to use data cables between them. Anyone knows if there is a way to get them communicated via a wireless protocol, pereferably a solution within siemens products. I'm quite clueless about transfering I/O without cables (such as profinet)

Thanks in advance,

assuming your plc's have profibus or profinet (im not familiar with siemens), its more than possible

http://www.automation.siemens.com/m.../wireless-devices/Pages/wireless-devices.aspx

The main thing to look out for is whether you need bridging or not. If the crane PLC is just going to be connected as a client, it will be easy.

Just don't use it for control. I wouldn't ever trust wifi for anything other than monitoring.

Last edited:
Stacker Crane

My systems uses Profibus connected SICK ISD 300-1211, over a 60 metre X axis Siemens S7-300 CPU stationary I/O moving with no problems. Not sure of your local laws but keep the e/stop hard wired.

If you only need to transfer few I/O's between the two systems, you could use the bidirectional wireless system from Phoenix Contact: RAD-ISM-2400-SET-BD-BUS-ANT.

Talking wirelessly using IMAP

Two 300's can talk with each other if you have CP343-1 Advanced in each of them.

That is:

Stationary PLC will have CP343-1 advanced along with scalance Access point W788-1RR, while moving PLC will have CP343-1 Advanced along with scalance Client point W747-1RR. You need to activate CBA of CP343-1 Advanced as shown in attached file.

You now just need IMAP software to connect DB's of both the PLC. Once this is done system is ready for working as desired (talking wirelessly). It may seem slightly complicated but in nut shell its real simple.

CBA.jpg

Cost effective simple solution using wlan or bluetooth from HMS.

Phoenix contact has similar products

Siemens and other wlan clients can work in adhoc mode meaning that you can use 2 clients regular wlan clients without a router in between to create a wireless bridge

Thanks a lot for all the replies :), I will look into both Siemens and non-Siemens solutions that you have suggested.