transformer sizing

matlark

If I have a load of 600VA and undersize the transformer to a 500VA transformer (square d) would I be in an acceptable range? I know there is a fudge factor with sizing xformers.

THanks

Depends how long you want the transformer to last...

NEVER undersize a transformer. ALWAYS oversize it!

Transformers 101

If I have a load of 600VA and undersize the transformer to a 500VA transformer (square d) would I be in an acceptable range? I know there is a fudge factor with sizing xformers.

THanks

Actually, there is no "Fudge Factor". A Transformer is one of the things that you can count on for 100% ampacity, for 100% duty cycle.

If you have a 600va load, you will never get there with a 500va transformer.

What is your application? 500va is only 1/2 amp at 120vac.

If you are working on ONE machine, buy a transformer with spare capacity. If you are engineering a purchase for 10 or more machines, then you must understand your load, and size the transformer for adequate capacity, and economics in design.

A 500VA transformer CAN supply more than rated, possibly 600VA or more, but only for very short amounts of time. The amount of time depends on the cooling you can provide and the overload VA you are trying to get.

But in anycase, building from new, always err on the side of caution and upsize. You never know who will come along later and start adding more loads to a maxed out transformer.

My experience is that while power transformers will generally have a fairly conservative rating small control transformers do not. In addition it is quite common for people to install these transformers without really considering the cooling requirements. Deliberately overloading this type of transformer for long periods of time is a recipe for a fire.

As the rating is VA (Volts x Amps) the performance is relative to the Power factor of the AC load.
the Idea of doing load calculations is to protect your transformer.
As you excede the VA ability of the transformer you create other problems.
Apart from the fire risk, a 600 Watt load is not 600 VA, so why would you attempt to use a 500 VA Transformer

Actually, there is no "Fudge Factor". A Transformer is one of the things that you can count on for 100% ampacity, for 100% duty cycle.

If you have a 600va load, you will never get there with a 500va transformer.

What is your application? 500va is only 1/2 amp at 120vac.

If you are working on ONE machine, buy a transformer with spare capacity. If you are engineering a purchase for 10 or more machines, then you must understand your load, and size the transformer for adequate capacity, and economics in design.

Actually, 500va is just a hair over 4amp (4 x 120 = 480) and it is 1A on the 480V side