Allen Bradley vs Siemens Safety Controllers

becs

I'm looking at either using a Allen Bradley SmartGuard or a Siemens MSS. I've been playing about with programming logic for both of them and I'm seeing advantages and drawbacks to both of them (not being able to give meaningful names to IO for the Siemens is a big one!....unless I just haven't figured that one out yet).

What have users here used and what do they prefer?

That article wasn't very helpful, matter of fact, it wasn't correct. To say "Rockwell systems require hardwired connections for safety systems, while Siemens uses Profibus and Profinet for all communications." is just plain wrong.

I would use GuardLogix. You can do your safety and machine control in one package.

Apparently it's advertisement for a Webinar that is happening at 2pm EST today (hour and a half from now if I'm not mistaken).

I'm not 100% sure where it came from, one of the many places I was required to give an email address in order to register and get product documentation, more than likely.

Sorry :)

I related my experience with the SmartGuard 600 in this thread. I've only used it for one project but it was a big one. Two years later it's still running without a single issue.

You should be aware that the SmartGuard is a rebranded Omron NE1A. The Omron G9SP is essentially identical but without the networking capability. I've used several of them and the cost is very reasonable.

I would use GuardLogix. You can do your safety and machine control in one package.

From playing around with each of their programs I thought their capabilities seemed very similar (ie- I can do safety and machine control with both). Am I missing something?

I should have also clarified that I'm looking at the Siemens 3RK3 MSS controller.

The only reason I'm looking at the Siemens controller is because we already have one in the plant, I think I'd rather go with AB (though this would be the time to switch to the SmartGuard for future projects if I was going to do that).

That article wasn't very helpful, matter of fact, it wasn't correct. To say "Rockwell systems require hardwired connections for safety systems, while Siemens uses Profibus and Profinet for all communications." is just plain wrong.

You can do control and safety on one CPU with the Siemens as long as it is a "F" type.
You'll have to use safety modules for your safety and regular modules for the rest of the devices.
You'll need the add-on "Safety Integrated" package though in order to do a Siemens safety one.