Powerflex DC wont talk to Logix5k - versioning?

Johnster

Hello All,
A few days ago, we had a Powerflex DC (200V) 20P series break on us - relay board didnt want to switch
So we sourced a new drive, bolted it up and HIM-copied over the parameters - there was some fussing but they got it to work.
After the parameters were made to work, we still had no status from the drive.
This drive gets a run and analog speed ref by discrete IO from a nearby L63 Controllogix rack. The Drive also has controlnet back to the PLC for statuses, amps and fun (the Plant wanted discrete IO to run and change speed, the Integrator wanted Controlnet - we kinda compromised on the side of expensive :) the PLC still needs a status "OK" back from the drive (over controlnet) to run the process (its the trolley in a barge unloader and the PLC isnt getting the status to let it continue the run sequence.

com A and com B lights are green on the VFD - I can see it from DriveExecutive and see live parameters - so I am sure that the controlnet wiring is good.

When I fire up Logix 5K, the only problem with the drive is incompatable keying, but when I try to open the drive's properties I get a "Module profile not found, unable to create module profile".
I'm pretty sure that disabling keying is all we need - and since the process is robust in physical IO around this drive, I'm not concerned about disabling keying.
I can't get to the module properties in Logix5k - every time I try to bring it up it says the same "Module profile not found, unable to create module profile.
I surfed into the drive over Driveexecutive and told it to "create database" a few different times, it spent a minute downloading parameters (I saved the .dno) but Logix 5k still wouldnt see it.
I went to the internet and downloaded all the Powerflex DC EDS's I could find - I ran them all through the RSLinx import tool and they imported just fine- no errors but still "...cannot create module profile"

When I loaded the EDS, the drive went from an unknown device in RSLinx to a drive icon (none of the other 4 PF's did, but I'll hit that later) but Logix 5k was still clueless.

The PLC program is V16 in an L63 processor. The new Powerflex DC firmware is rev 5 (.005?) - Is it possible that the drive is just too new to talk or did I miss a step where you tell Logix 5k to rescan the EDS files and play nicely ?

Long post - hope I covered everything. I feel bad leaving the plant with issues hanging open - I assume you all know how that feels....

-John

The repair process for a corrupted Add-On-Profile is arduous so let's try the easiest method first: save the project as a *.L5K file and a different project name, then open that *.L5K file with RSLogix 5000 to re-create an *.ACD file.

EDS files don't have anything to do with the Add-On Profiles in RSLogix 5000 v16, so don't worry about them right now.

I would try to delete the drive from the project and then re-add it using the "Match Drive" feature when configuring the new module. (I am running Logix5000 Rev.16.03 and there is an available PowerFlex DC 200V via 20-COMM-C or Fiber module).
Also, if networked within a "scheduled" ControlNet network, you will have to "re-schedule" the communications (using RSNetworx for ControlNet) every time the topology is modified. It is the only way the CLX CPU could allocate the connections required by the newer revision device.

I appreciate the help guys. I'm very fuzzy on the concept of an Add-on-profile, but it kinda makes sence - if every I/O module has a 'profile' (in a DB somewhere in Rockwell land on my computer) then you just add-on a profile for the Powerflex DC drives, so Logix can treat them like old-school I/O modules (and adjust properties etc...)

I did the L5k re-import, and now none of the Drives are there - I am in the office though, so I'll carry back out to the field and hook up, maybe it'll find them (?)

I've tried adding/re-adding a Powerflex DC drive - all I can see are a bunch of Powerflex, 4, 40, 7, 70 and 700 VFD's...but no DC option. and the "add drive ?" - I cannot find it. I'll keep looking.

-John

Did the L5k export and re-import, the 'new' program took but there are no drives on that controlnet card - same as before, when I try to add one, there is no Powerflex DC option.

blah.

-John

Do you have the original RSLogix 5000 Install CD/DVD?
It looks like some Hardware Profiles options were not checked at installation time.
You should try re-installing RSLogix 5000 and make sure ALL hardware profiles are "checked" when prompted about "install options".
If you have a RA TechConnect contract you could download the installation package at https://download.rockwellautomation.com/webupdates/enter.aspx
I don't think 16.53 is a valid RSLogix 5000 revision. The only available REV.16 download is 16.03 and you should try obtaining it since it most likely includes the up to date hardware profiles.

16.53 is what you see when you open the PLC program go to processor revision. The Logix5k software says 16.03 like you said.
I'm calling AB right now looking for an add-on profile for the Powerflex DC drives - I'll put the Logix5k CD back in and see if I can find some of the hardware profiles that didnt get installed.

It looks like I could flash the new drive back to an older rev - then it'd all be hunky-dory, but even if that works, we still wouldnt be able to see the drive parms through logix - which is the way we should want to go.

I appreciate the help so far

-John

Some success - I found the rockwell site for drive downloads...wayyyy at the bottom there was the AOP's for Logix5000.
it was a 258M download, but after installation, the drive showed up as a recognizeable thing in Logix5k.
I was able to get into the properties and change it to disable keying. THis solved the issue. I might have had it...

but then I went and changed the drive rev in Logix so that the PLC program matched the drive - that was a mistake, now it is telling me connection refused - communications not scheduled and I'm thinking I need to reschedule the controlnet.

I dont have a copy of Networx for Controlnet. I'm calling our vendor right now. blah again - but at least I can get at the drive and disable keying..whether anything will run is another question.

-John