new stuff 1769-l18er-bb1b

bce123

Lifetime Supporting Member
Any one had a chance to play with these yet? I looking at using these on a project and would like to here commints on these.
Thanks, for your replies

I have two of them on related machines that I am starting up now.

They're very similar to the other CompactLogix controllers, really. If you're using RSLogix 5000 v20 with POINT I/O, there's hardly any difference with any other controller.

Connection with USB was very straightforward, and the firmware load was easy to do. I've been connected over Ethernet ever since and it works fine.

The principal surprises I've had were due to the relatively low-power POINT I/O scanner on the local bus. If you want to use analog or specialty modules, the scantimes can get relatively long. Allow 20 ms for each analog or specialty module.

The SD card nonvolatile memory is nice; I have three devices in the control system that use SD memory, so I have the backup files for the other two loaded onto the same SD card that stays in the CompactLogix slot.

Like many OEMs who build small machines and use the A-B portfolio, CompactLogix and MicroLogix 1100/1400 are our usual platforms. I'm going to strongly consider the L16 and L18 controllers for systems that don't need the I/O features (relay/DC mix, high-speed options) or serial ports (RS-232, RS-485) of the MicroLogix. I can make up the difference in hardware cost with efficiency of programming, as I'm a better and faster programmer (and have more libraries of reusable code) in RSLogix 5000.

There's a generational line at v20, like there was at v13 and again at v16.

There's a good slide in the "what's new in V20" PPT presentation... you can get that from your RA distributor or see the basic info in the Release Notes.

Specifically for CompactLogix: Version 20 is the last revision for the popular 2nd Generation CompactLogix, including the 1769-L31, -L32E, -L35E, as well as the 1769-L23 controllers with embedded Compact I/O.

Version 20 is the first revision for the new "5370" series of CompactLogix, including the 1769-L1x, 1769-L2x, 1769-L3x controllers. These are the controllers with USB, SD, and Ethernet Ring ports.

A direct answer: RSLogix 5000 v19 does not have support for the new generation of CompactLogix, including the 1769-L18ER-BB1B.

Did you ever get one and if so, any comments?
short answer yes
I was able to set it up with no problems running ver 20 which I bought a new copy of without all the bells and whistiles for a small sum(still not brave enough to put 20 on my laptop). ran a few test with it and it is now in a demo unit for Ignition from what I know so far its a great little unit. I plan on using these to replace the micrologix line for my clients who run RS Logix 5000, as a low cost option for small stand alone systems