s5 100u

oggy02

I have an old s5 100u plc with no programme in it hooked up to my laptop. Can anyone give me some guidance on the step by step procedure on starting a new project, how to start writing a new programme and then downloading it to the plc. I have done some work on s7 and moron but cannot figure out the correct steps to get this one loaded.

If you check the manual for Step 5 im pretty sure there is a 'getting started' chapter. Otherwise its alot like s7 but with a simpler DOS based interface, and you wont have to do a hardware config.

Thanks for the reply. I have looked in the manual and there is a section headed writing a programme, but it doesn't actually tell you how to do it. If I had a programme in either plc or laptop I have figured out how to transfer from one to the other. I want to try writing programme but not sure which section I start it in. I prefer writing in ladder but I think you have to input it in statement list?

You can use ladder diagram but for the analog you have to use stl.
No, you don't have to. You can use the analog FB's in ladder. I don't have the info at hand here, but these FB's are in the range FB240 to FB243.

Regards,

s5 100

sorry, but still not sure how to get started. Kalle, it is the Siemens variant, but not sure which version until I return to work. Am I right in thinking you have to first set the project and name the project. then not sure where to go next. Also does anyone know what INI and S5D files are. Thanks for everyone's suggestions upto now and any more help is much appreciated.

If I recal The .ini is the configuration of your step 5 the S5D is the actual backup or saved copy of your program.

I was happy with the Siemens version of Step5 up till Stufe 3, running under MSDOS, must be 20 years ago. I never got used to the windows variant, so when my old T5200 died, I shifted to the much more convenient S5W from IBH.

I am curious why you want to put time and effort in learning this ancient technology?

Kalle

Hi kalle, our company still has quite a few machines that still use s5 and was just trying to get a bit of practice in. I just wanted to put a small programme in it and use it as a simulator, then do the same with an s7.