Please tech me ANALOG

jommunar

hi to all!

I have been an Equipment engineer for a year at my past job and turned instrumentation engineer in my current job. I have been learning to program a lot of PLC models on my own (mitsubishi, panasonic, omron, keyence, schneider).The latest PLC model that i have been learning is allen bradley. my knowledge on PLC programming is limited only from basic to advanced DIGITAL controls and HMI programming. I have no idea on how to program neigh to wire an analog intrument to a PLC. I graduated 2 years ago as an electronics and communications engineer so I have not been taught in school about PLCs. I didnt even imagine that there was a technology like this since my first job.

Please help me understand analog controls. specially the wiring schemes.

We have an upcomming project using an allen bradley PLC. I have been in tune with advanced instructions of the PLC for the past week so i can minimize my program ladders. i have been fiddling with AB micrologix 1200 with 1762-IF20f2 analog expansion module on channel 3. i understand that it has two output words O3.0 and O3.1 for voltage(0-10VDC) and current(4-20mA) outputs. but which is which? is 3.0 fo current?voltage? and 3.1 for voltage?current? Also, input wise, why are there 6 channel words that are created? I:3.0, I:3.1, I:3.2, I:3.3, I:3.4, I:3.5? what are those for?

I hope i could get enlighten on this one. thanks!

Jomar

Welcome to the site
- i am sorry to ask this question
I completed a 2 year Basic electronics certificate.
This had nothing about PLC's in it.
But a lot about analogue devices - ?

As far as the AB Analogue card O3.0 etc.
No the analogue V or I is either a card DIP switch setting or Porcessor set.
You will need to check the manual (PDF)
search the rockwell AB site for the specific card the information is there

yup a lot of analog devices but we mainly tackled about computations.. resistance current voltage. theories. my school didn't have an extensive hands on training about these. It was all about calculations , which, i am having trouble finding the connection between PLC programming and electronics calculations. i hope you get my point.

I will have to get bact to you - need to go to a meeting

The analogue card does the hard work - once you have wired it up.
then it is only a matter of thinking in either Percentage or the actual units
(there is a scaling function on some PLC's the others need calculation)
Searh this site for analogue scaling.
There are many recent posts here. most of which, have all the answers you need.

I have the screen shot for reference.
540556_3364662207170_1587571093_2703592_1483505506_n.jpg

I figured out why there are two channel outputs. Not because of voltage (0-10Vdc) and current(4-20mA) but because there are two physical outputs I:3/0 and I:3/1. how silly of me. only thing i dont understand now is why are there 6 input channels..

First of all see link below for the manual. Pay close attention to pages 19.20,21,22 they show you what each input and output words are for.

For the outputs you would write to words O:3.0 ( channel 0) and O:3.1 ( channel 1) to control the outputs.

The first two words of the input words are the raw data for your inputs the next two are reserved and a couple more for status info again see the manual.

Whether you get voltage or current from outputs depends on how you wire it and how you configure the card.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1762-in005_-en-p.pdf

ok i got output and input thanks a lot!!!!!!!.. last question. what address/channel will i put the configuration data file(page21)? it doesnt specify in the manual. or is that pre configured when you put the specifications on the analog output module configuration window shown in page 22?

Yes page 22, to get to that screen... see picture below.

Make sure the dip switches are set properly for your input source.

It is software configurable. Highlight the the card in I/O config the click on "Adv Config"
See picture below.

configureCard.jpg

Last edited:
got it got it thanks!!!!!

so i dont need to configure this anymore then? coz it doesnt tell where the address is located.
536582_3364945974264_1587571093_2703686_1766671041_n.jpg

also, my micrologix starter programming kit has no micrologix 1200 on it. it only has 1000 and 1100. is there an update or something? or do i have to buy the full version of it?