Backup and Restore RSLinx Enterprise topology?

kdcui

Lifetime Supporting Member
Is there an easy way to export and re-import a network topology for RSLinx Enterprise?

I know there is one for RSLinx Classic (Backup and Restore Utility), but there doesn't seem to be one for Enterprise.

Thanks.

I realize this is a fairly old thread, but I was searching for info on a similar topic and noticed this. Thought it would be helpful for anyone else searching on the same topic.

The Enterprise topology can be transferred between computers, or backed-up and restored on the local PC. There is an .XML file "RSLinxNG.xml" located in the application data folder that can be transferred that contains all the driver data.

From the RSLinx Enterprise Getting Results Guide, page 43:

Moving your physical layout (drivers and devices)

If you are using the same RSLinx Enterprise software on the same computer for multiple
applications, adding device drivers to one application will make those same drivers
available to the other applications. There is no need to move hardware configurations
from one application to another.

M
OVING FROM ONE COMPUTER TO ANOTHER

1. Shut down the RSLinx Enterprise service using the Windows Service Control Panel
on both the source and the target computers.
2. Use Windows Explorer to locate the file an RSLinxNG.xml file in the directory
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Rockwell\RSLinx Enterprise.
(This assumes you have not changed your documents and settings location and that
you installed Windows to the C:\ drive).
3. Copy the .xml file from the source computer to the target computer and restart the
computer hosting RSLinx Enterprise. This will effectively copy all the hardware
information you need. Note that you may not have the same drivers or same hardware
on the second computer, so this may not always be a wise decision. Your shortcuts are
also on the computer you copied to, but each one will need to be applied to the new
hardware configuration.
The RSLinxNG.xml file is application- and directory-indifferent. This means you can
move the file between computers from directory to directory and need only to reapply
your shortcuts.

It's a bit of pain compared to the RSLinx Classic Backup/Restore Utility, but on the plus side, if you have any remote subnet mapping set-up on any of the Enterprise drivers, this info is preserved (unlike the Linx Classic restored drivers).

Awesome info. Thanks! I have 3 installs of Factory Talk AssetCentre and each install has multiple Agents and a Client that are required to share the exact same Linx config (down to the driver name). This will help big time.

I am surprised I didn't look for this info in the Getting Results Guide....nor was it mentioned in the same guide for AssetCentre.

No problem. I'm working on a similar situation with AssetCentre myself. I tested this method today and verified it works.

I only wish the Linx Classic backup/restore worked as well...

Are you having problems with the Classic backup and restore utility? I've had no issues using it to copy my configuration across multiple servers.

I've used it on both Server 2003 and Server 2008.