Modular Temperature Controller Recommendations

jrexrode

I will soon have a project where I'll need 34 temperature control loops. I was hoping some of you could give me some info on any modular temperature controllers you've used with success in the past. I've used the AB 1746-BTM controller in the past, but I think its overpriced and takes up too much of my rack space. I've also used the Red Lion CSPID2 controllers, but they have a limit of 16 modules which means I can only have 32 loops before having to add another master controller. The ones I've been looking into are the Omron EJ1, Watlow EZ-Zone RM, and the Eurotherm 2500. Any pros and cons of the above? Any more recommendations? Thanks.

I will soon have a project where I'll need 34 temperature control loops. I was hoping some of you could give me some info on any modular temperature controllers you've used with success in the past. I've used the AB 1746-BTM controller in the past, but I think its overpriced and takes up too much of my rack space. I've also used the Red Lion CSPID2 controllers, but they have a limit of 16 modules which means I can only have 32 loops before having to add another master controller. The ones I've been looking into are the Omron EJ1, Watlow EZ-Zone RM, and the Eurotherm 2500. Any pros and cons of the above? Any more recommendations? Thanks.

Honeywell HC900 Controller.

The Watlow RM works with several popular communication protocols. Configuration software is a free download and Watlow support is very professional. Just my two cents.

fuji - we use a lot of the fuji fuzzi logic controllers. Have them on machines controlling 4-20ma steam valves and after you autocalibrate them they are dead on at maintaining the temperature. We also use hundreds of them on molding machines to control the temperature of aluminum molds. On that setup we use J type thermocouplers with the Fuji and they are also dead on after you perform the autocalibrate. We use to do it in the plc, but found that with using the fuji controllers, just give it a signal to control the temperature and let it do its thing.

I concur with the Fuji for performance, but have never networked multiple PID controllers. Networking them makes me want to favor Red Lion Crimson 3 supported devices.

Omron EJ1

Since this thread got kicked to its feet again...

I chose to go with the Omron EJ1 series after looking at the capabilities of the platform. I expect I'll have a bit of a learning curve getting it set up, but I don't mind the challenge.

I'm definitely a fan of the Red Lion stuff, and this project will incorporate a Red Lion modular controller and some strain gage modules but no temperature modules. I've used the temperature modules in the past and find them easy to setup and control from the plc, but based on some past quirkiness with them, I chose to go a different route.