PLC to PC help

adamdayno

Hi all, the project at hand is to do some data logging i would like to also build a runtime file to run on a few different PC's. Basically the idea is that a person could see from their PC machine status and also pull up some data.
specs are 10 SLC503's each with their own local PV600. There are 3 PC's running XP that would need to have the runtime program on them.
Am I thinking correctly? I could write a program through factory talk studio and install it on each PC as a runtime file. will this work? will each PC need its own copy, geez I hate saying copy, its own registered version of RSLinx?
Is there a better way to do this that someone could point me in the right direction?

Is this a new project or are slc500/03 and panelview already in place? It would be easier if all the SLCs are on Ethernet instead of DH485. You could buy FTView ME Station for the PCs and import the PV600 programs to that. Station is licensed by the number of screens used, so depending on the screen count it could get expensive. If it was a PV Plus 600, it has a built in webserver. Then you could look at the screen like a web page.

well unfortunately it is existing, that sounds neat though. maybe in the future we could do that. I have Factory Talk view ME station installed on my laptop. sorry for noob questions but I'm kind of new to this software. But the screens I would like to put on the PC's are mainly a visual check for the boss's to see that equipment is running fine basically a green or red and maybe speed as well. the data would be by the day for a year then archived, perhaps 12 different points for each machine. there would be no Writing from the PC to the PLC read only.
thanks for your quick reply

Well, a 15 screen ME Station license is about $1,100.00. How many screens would you need per PC? Three PCs? Yeah, if it was a PanelView Plus 6, you could use its built-in Viewpoint server. If you had FTView SE in place, you could get a view only Viewpoint license. Also you're going to need a way to communicate to the SLCs, Ethernet would be best. NET-ENIs aren't cheap, around $750 each.

Last edited:
well it would be 3 PCs two screens each would be ideal but it could be done with one if I had to. You seemed well versed in this subject. can i pick you brain a bit further about getting info into an excel program from SLC via DH485. or if you could recommend some literature on the subject.

To get information to Excel you will need RSLinx Classic, any version except lite. Then depending on what you need to do, you can use DDE or OPC. To get information to the PC, the PC will either need to be on the DH485 network, or use some sort of gateway to bridge from DH485 to something else like Ethernet.

You could also log the data directly to SQL as well, using SQL Express and something like Kepware's datalogger, Inductive Automation's SQL Bridge, or Matrikon's datalogger. I'm sure a number of other companies offer similar products.

Then, you could just point Excel at the SQL datasource and view it from darn near anywhere.

good to hear about the excel seems simple enough. i never tried to tackle something like that before.
I was looking at the AB site on factorytalk view SE not sure whether to buy the station or server. could one of you put it in to noob language for me as to what would be the best. I dont need to do any machine control but would like to view systems as well as some data perhaps a few displays max.