RSLogix 5000: During unused system overhead Time Slice

Zaheer

Hi,

Can anyone explain me what this option means?
In manual, 1756-pm005_-en-p, I read
"With RSLogix 5000 software, version 16, you can configure any unused portion of the system overhead timeslice to:
• Run the continuous task, which results in faster execution of application code and increases the variability of the
program scan.
• Process communication, which results in more predictable and deterministic scan time for the continuous task. (This
is for development and testing of an application to simulate communication.)"

I did not understand the second option. As it sounds I can select the second option when I am simulating my programs (lets say on Softlogix) to reserve some time for communications. But if I am on real PLC with all the communications, what it means if I select this option?

It means that you will be hogging system time slice for simulating nonexistent data transfer.
This option comes handy at development time when the user tests logic execution without being able to establish the communications environment the application will eventually run within. The developer should be able to get an idea of the Continuous Task execution timing when the application will become functional within a "live system".
Obviously, when done testing, the option should be "un-checked" and the system should regain all of its resources.

Thanks for the answer. I never understood this option before. Yesterday I read the manual I mentioned above and did not believe at first. I had one project in "live system" where this second option was checked, how stupid I thought....

thanks.

It happens...Forgetting is very human...;)
What matters is finding the mistake and promptly correcting it.