Oil Flow Sensor Recommendation

The Plc Kid

I am looking for a OIl flow sensor to verify oil flow in a gearbox befor allowing the gearbox to run. So I am not really trying to measure the amount of flow but just verify that there is flow.

It would be nice to log the volume of flow and set a range based to the amount of flow. So a discrete or analog output would be work.

Thanks

Give a little more information, Please...

I rarely post but often read....

Anyways; You aren't providing enough process information to intelligently specify a flow meter/switch. Tell us the flow rate range, viscosity, temperature, pressure, accuracy required, specific gravity, composition (solids or other characteristics) etc. and maybe you'll get a qualified specific solution. Geez!

I guess I'm a quiet "watcher" or "reader" of posts for a reason...LOL! But----tonight I'm having a few beers and couldn't resist weighing in on the, once again PLCS.NET, obvious postings...I see them all the time from Allen-Bradley, through Micro Motion to Endress+Hauser to Unitronics to OPTO 22 to Modbus to Laptop questions ad nauseam ...most of the time it's just a chuckle or a head shake but for some reason I felt compelled, this one time (probably the beer), to become more vocal. There are a lot of guys here that post in the 1000's of responses but end up in the "Yada, Yada, Yada..." category. Still amusing, but not that impressive...Anyways, I enjoy reviewing the trials and tribulations of everyone here and I DO learn things, here and there. :) Thanks Guys & Gals!!

I rarely post but often read....

Anyways; You aren't providing enough process information to intelligently specify a flow meter/switch. Tell us the flow rate range, viscosity, temperature, pressure, accuracy required, specific gravity, composition (solids or other characteristics) etc. and maybe you'll get a qualified specific solution. Geez!

I guess I'm a quiet "watcher" or "reader" of posts for a reason...LOL! But----tonight I'm having a few beers and couldn't resist weighing in on the, once again PLCS.NET, obvious postings...I see them all the time from Allen-Bradley, through Micro Motion to Endress+Hauser to Unitronics to OPTO 22 to Modbus to Laptop questions ad nauseam ...most of the time it's just a chuckle or a head shake but for some reason I felt compelled, this one time (probably the beer), to become more vocal. There are a lot of guys here that post in the 1000's of responses but end up in the "Yada, Yada, Yada..." category. Still amusing, but not that impressive...Anyways, I enjoy reviewing the trials and tribulations of everyone here and I DO learn things, here and there. :) Thanks Guys & Gals!!

Wow man sounds like you know everything.

Anyway I was not asking for anything that specific just a general recomendation of brand not specific model. RTFP.

How is the oil circulated? I did a couple of systems that each had variation on oil sensors. I don't like heavy oil and movable switches.
If is a light weight oil than a movable switch is OK.
I used a high pressure piston diaphragm to sense the oil pump was running on Med weight.
On heavy oil I used a Mass Flow Meter. It was overkill but we had it in stock.

Wow man sounds like you know everything.

Anyway I was not asking for anything that specific just a general recomendation of brand not specific model. RTFP.

Sounds to me he is pretty familiar with Rheology (Wiki has a good description) and asked you some very good basic design questions.

A non specific solution is to watch the lubricant come out of the pipe.

Dan Bentler

I have been looking for something as well. We had a 1600 hp pulp refiner go out because someone shut off the bearing oil supply. They had a pressure switch on the line but the valve was closed at the return. I have been looking for a few weeks and the thing that I came up with was most of the analog flow meters would not do temperature compensation so they would not be accurate. As the oil thins out the flow will change. I am aslo looking at adding a thermocouple to see if I can figure it out. Our local Motion industries guy came up with one that will so it but I dont lnow much about them. I will post the details on Monday when I get back to work.

you could read pressure to indicate flow, either static pressure or differential across an orifice.