PLC help for Click C0-01AR-D PLC

alp130joet

How would you set up this program for a Click C0-01AR-D from Automationdirect. with 5 inputs and five outputs

DescriptionTagAC InputAC OutputPurge Button1Powder Transfer Button1Stop Reset Buttton1Hopper Dome Open1Dump Valve Closed1 Dump Valve SV1Vibrator1Purge Solenoid1Scrubber Vent Valve1Dome Lock Solenoid1

Description:

The solids handling hopper will be used to safely transfer powders or liquids into the cat-makeup tank. The system is designed to allow transfer of manual charges into the cat-makeup tank while maintaining the nitrogen blanket. The system will be fully interlocked protect the operator from accidentally exposure flammable vapor or nitrogen. The interlocks will include a locking device to prevent opening of the hopper during a purge cycle or when the dump valve is opened.
Sequence of operations:

• The idle position will be N2 valve closed, Scrubber valve closed, dump valve closed, Hopper Dome closed, locking device in locked position.
  • The operator will press the purge button on the Hopper control panel. N2 purge valve will open then the scrubber valve will open to purge the air out of the hopper the after the purge cycle is complete the N2 valve will close then the scrubber valve will close. The hopper dome will unlock. The system ready light will light on the control panel indicating to the operator that he can open the dome to charge the powder.
  • The operator opens the hopper dome cover and pours the powder charge into the hopper. The operator will close the dome cover and hit the powder transfer button on the control panel. The dome will then lock and the hopper will go through a purge cycle. The once the purge is complete the dump valve will open to transfer the material into the cat-makeup tank the N2 valve will remain open during the transfer operation to maintain a small positive differential pressure between the hopper and the cat-makeup tank. When the transfer timer times out the N2 valve will close, then the dump valve will close the dome will unlock which completes the transfer cycle. The operator can now open up the dome to make sure all material is transferred from the hopper or add more material to the hopper. After the dome is closed the hopper will, return to the idle state and lock after a predetermined time.

Last edited:
You sequences need to be broken out with a lot more detail. The word 'then' is used often. Does this imply some sort of time delay? If not the word 'and' should be used. If a time delay is to be used then that is a separate step.

Let's break up the first sequence -

The operator will press the purge button on the Hopper control panel. N2 purge valve will open then (time delay? If so specify it. When 'done' the next step starts)

the scrubber valve will open to purge the air out of the hopper

after the purge cycle is complete (you must specify HOW you know the 'purge cycle is complete. Time? A sensor? What?)

the N2 valve will close then (another 'then' - again, is this a time delay?)

the scrubber valve will close. The hopper dome will unlock. The system ready light will light on the control panel

( indicating to the operator that he can open the dome to charge the powder. - this is a comment as to 'why' the output is turned on. Write it in a different style)

So - the first step would be to break up the sequence into much more detail. I'm not saying that the original description is faulty - it just wasn't written in a view to being complete. You must make it complete before you even think about touching a PLC.

Last edited:
lets try baby steps. Are there any limit switches interlock switches ect....?

DescriptionTagAC InputAC OutputPurge Button1Powder Transfer Button1Stop Reset Buttton1Hopper Dome Open1Dump Valve Closed1Dump Valve SV1Vibrator1Purge Solenoid1Scrubber Vent Valve1Dome Lock Solenoid1

Please use the CODE (# symbol) operation to help format this table on inputs and outputs. It is a little hard to read in this format.

Do you have a problem with our answers so far?

Description
Tag
AC Input

Purge Button with AMBER Light
Powder Transfer Button with Green Light
Stop Reset Buttton
Hopper Dome Open LS
Dump Valve Closed

AC Output
Dump Valve SV
Vibrator SV
Purge Solenoid
Scrubber Vent SV

Dome Lock Solenoid SV and Red Light

yes
1) From idle position with hopper lid closed and air cylinder solenoid plunger forward to lock lid in place, N2 valve closed, Scrubber valve, and dump valve closed.
2) Press purge pushbutton (Amber PB/PL)and the N2 solenoid valve opens and after 2 seconds the scrubber solenoid valve opens to purge out the hopper for 10 seconds, and after the timer is done: N2 Valve closes and starts 2sec timer afterwards the scrubber solenoid valve closes and the hopper lid air cylinder plunger retracts allowing for the Red unlock dome PL to light and operator then can open lid to add power charge.
3) Once loaded the operator then closes the hopper lid the red unlock dome light goes out and pushes the charge solids pushbutton (Green PB/PL) light goes on dome locks in place and purge cycle starts with N2 SV opening and 2 sec later Scrubber SV opening, and after 5 seconds start vibrator along with dump valve opening after 20 seconds shut N2 valve and also vibrator off and after 2 seconds shut dump valve turn off green light and allow for the hopper lid to open by releasing the air SV to lock and light the red PL

1) Purge is Amber Pushbutton and pilot Light
2) Charge Solids is green Pushbutton and Pilot Light
3) Stop Operations is Red pushbutton with no light
4) Red Pilot Light for Unlock Dome
so 3 pushbuttons with NO contacts and 3 pilot lights indicating operational steps.

So you plan to use two pushbutton unit with built in 2 sets of contacts, one for the PLC Input, and another to turn on a pilot light inside the PB unit. Okay.

The word "then" also means "next in order of time". No time period has to be specified, because "then" means that (however much time has passed) the very next event that CAN happen will be the one after the "THEN". AND would imply that the events are equal and happen at the same time.

This sentence states the order of events, and looks okay to me. It maybe could use some commas to separate the events.

"The operator will press the purge button on the Hopper control panel. N2 purge valve will open, then the scrubber valve will open...."

Alp, Now then, what is your question? Oh, right, I remember now.

How would you set up this program for a Click C0-01AR-D from Automationdirect, with 5 inputs and five outputs

I would set it up in 5 Steps or Stages:

1. IDLE

2. PURGE

3. CHARGE

4. DUMP

5. INSPECT & ADD

<----(repeat as needed).

Last edited: