MicroLogix Comm and DH+

JoseM

The plant where I work has an existing DH+ network that links all PLC5, SLC 5/04, and Control Logix PLC to one dedicated rack. They are running a wireless network that allows me to connect to all PLC's on this network remotely.

They have an old machine that they will like to automate with a PLC processor. This machine is not very big and also doesn't contain many I/O points, so I have a hard time justifying a SLC 5/04 for this machine.

The management wants that if the machine is automated, they want to be able to include this machine into the existing DH+ network for the purpose of collecting performance data about the equipment.

I will like to use a MicroLogix 1400 for the purpose of controlling the machine but I read that DH+ is not supported by this family of processors. Is there any backdoor way to add this machine to the DH+ network.

It sounds like you already have some sort of wireless remote access to the PLCs, which I assume to mean you have some sort of DH+ to Ethernet gateway in the plant already? If that is the case, you could connect the 1400 directly to the ethernet network and use the gateway as a bridge to the DH+ PLCs and vice versa.

We have a rack inside the maintenance office with a controlLogix 5562 processor in it and a couple of DH+ RIO modules, 1 Ethernet I/P module, and another Ethernet module.

So if I bring an Ethernet connection all the way from this machine that I want to put a MicroLogix processor there is the opportunity to make it work. Do I need to get another Ethernet module for the rack that is acting as a Gateway.

No, the one is plenty. You'll need to set up a routing table inside the DH+/RIO card in order to message the 1400 from a processor on the DH+ side.

I can't think of any reason of going with a DH+ setup when you have ethernet and an ethernet -> DH+ gateway available. Adding more to the DH+ network is just going to slow it down farther.

The management wants that if the machine is automated, they want to be able to include this machine into the existing DH+ network for the purpose of collecting performance data about the equipment.

Helliana said:
I can't think of any reason of going with a DH+ setup when you have ethernet and an ethernet -> DH+ gateway available. Adding more to the DH+ network is just going to slow it down farther.

I agree.. they can pull data from the Ethernet just as easy as I am sure the PC doing the polling is on the Ethernet and will not load up the DH+ with more data, not sure of how many nodes you have but they start to slow around 8 with a decent amount data

I'm interested in being able to access the Micrologix PLC via the wireless network and do online editing, monitoring, etc.

What would I have to do to get it to work like the other PLC's in the network? There are at least 8 PLC's per production line and they have three lines of production, so nodes as plentiful.

It is actually very easy to set up. All you have to do is connect a some Cat5e cable from the ethernet port on the PLC to a switch on the network that the wireless and server doing the data logging is on. You'll have to give the Micrologix an IP address using RSLogix500 under the communication configuration.

If you have a IT department at your location, they should be able to tell what IP address you can use and probably where to hook it up at.

Last edited:
I'm interested in being able to access the Micrologix PLC via the wireless network and do online editing, monitoring, etc.

Set it up in your project tree under communication and set a static IP, then you will just set a IP driver in RSLinx and go online just like the others... just faster with Ethernet

What would I have to do to get it to work like the other PLC's in the network? There are at least 8 PLC's per production line and they have three lines of production, so nodes as plentiful.

Depends on your PC doing the polling... you will need to see how they are doing it and doing it with what

Thank you guys for the help. It make me feel much better that I can have the MicroLogix working along side the other PLC's in the wireless network.

I already have the MicroLogix coming which is why I was freaking out if I couldn't use it. I better get me some Cat5e cable and perhaps, a new switch to add the MicroLogix since all the ports are taken.

And as a benefit, you can brag that you have begun transitioning from the older slower proprietary DH+ to a more modern and open network. As you add more devices in the future, you can add them to the Ethernet.

OG

And as a benefit, you can brag that you have begun transitioning from the older slower proprietary DH+ to a more modern and open network. As you add more devices in the future, you can add them to the Ethernet.

I second that. The plant i work at has already thrown out all their non-ethernet equipment. I love it =)