Bron

I have A problem with a Slc 500 1747-L30d that somebody put
a password in. Does anybody know how to get around this or
delete the password, because it won't even let me download
a new program with out the password.

Thanks.

There is a few solutions.

First Call AB and tell them about it.

The second implies snooping the serial port. The software does not SEND the password TO the PLC so it verifies it, its the other way around. You could snoop the string and find the password.

It all enhance the Source code declaration importance when one purchases products or services. One other example to add to the lot.

I was playing around here with an .RSS file and found some interesting things.
First of all I am assuming you are using RSLogix500. You can go here and download a freeware hex editor. This will let you look at the .RSS file as a raw hex file. It also has an ASCII representation on a side pane.
I made up an empty project with the L30D as the processor and added both a normal and master password. I saved them and looked at the hex file.
Both passwords are stored next to each other just before the processor name. in my case this was at hex address 4A0B, but that will probably float a bit depending on what your processor configuration is. If you know what the processor name is you can just search on that.
The general password is listed first, the master password is second with a 0x05 in between in my case. The processor name immediately follows the master password. After the name is the saved communication path. All this is in ASCII. You should be able to track down the password from this.

Good luck.
Keith

I have used this before with much success, it comes from Christian Samuel who posted it for me at the AB Forums:

Create a new logix file *.rss and set a master password like 99999, it has to be numeric entry. Save the file, close it and then open it. when you open it it should prompt you for the password. put in 99999 and then it should open. This is just to check the password capability. Then close the file and open it in Wordpad and search for 99999 it is usually located down about 90% of the page and to the right about 70%. This is where the password is stored. Now open your file with the unkown password in Wordpad and look in the same area as the test file. you should find your password.

you dont have the offline file then grab your oar and head UP that creek. lol

Christian Samuel
Sr. Controls Engineer

Good Luck,

Steve

I tried Steve's suggestion on my test program with both Notepad and Wordpad. Both found the processor name, which is right next to the passwords, but neither found the actual passwords.

Keith

If all you need is to download a new program, then clear the existing program on the CPU:

Power down.
Remove CPU from rack.
Remove battery from CPU.
Remove memory module from CPU.
Locate green capacitor next to the battery holder.
Use a jumper on the back side of the circuit board to short the capacitors soldering points. Note: Keep the jumper on for AT LEAST ONE MINUTE.
Reinsert battery.
DO NOT reinsert memory module.
Reinsert CPU in rack.
Power up.

Hey, Thanks JesperMp that worked like a charm. But
i'm glad that I didn't need the program in the
memory of the PLC because it wipped out everything.

WOW!

I posted a thread about passwords just as a curiousity, and they came out of the woodwork! Isn't this the third one in the past week?