Siemens PLC Interrupt

Hello all!

I am trying to set up a high speed counter to count pulses from a sensor. I believe I need to set up an "interrupt". Can anyone explain what this is. I have searched through manuals and online but cannot find an explanation of how an interrupt routine works. Can anyone help?

I am using a S7 1200 with TIA portal V10.5.

Thanks in advance.

Hello all!

I am trying to set up a high speed counter to count pulses from a sensor. I believe I need to set up an "interrupt". Can anyone explain what this is. I have searched through manuals and online but cannot find an explanation of how an interrupt routine works. Can anyone help?

I am using a S7 1200 with TIA portal V10.5.

Thanks in advance.

In the CPU "Device configuration" > "General" > "High Speed Counters" you can set an Interrupt when the counter value is equal to a reference value. This is a hardware interrupt and will create an OB.

A "Hardware interrupt" OB will interrupt cyclic program execution in reaction to a signal from a hardware event. The events must be defined in the properties of the configured hardware