1769-L31 CompactLogix Controller

jlienert

I need some help communicating with this processor, I hook up I find it under communications tab in rslgx 5000 keeps telling me my path is incorrect and will not communicate? Help would be appreciated thanks guys. Also my cable seems to be hooked up correctly just wondering what Im missing?

Are you communicating to via Ethernet? Does it have an iP address? If this is a new installation, you may need to use bootp to assign it a IP address. A you going directly to the processor or are you using a switch/hub?

i have rslgx 5000 open and I am connectred directly to the processor with cable supplied. it is already programmed. I just want to go online with it. I searched and found my proccessor and back plane but the option to go online isn't lit so it wont let me click on it. And when i try on the main menu to go online says my path isnt correct. But the path I try to use is the one in the recent paths?????? My cord to hook up looks good there is an rs-232 cord hanging in my panel off the processor. I have been supplied a cable which attaches to it and turns into a usb end and plugs in my laptop. Oh and thanks for responding so quickly. there is not ethernet hook up just right off the processor

RsLinx is used to connect to the processor. After you have made the connection then
open RSLogix5000 to go online.

See pdf below if using the serial port on the processor. Make sure you know what comm port your USB device is using.

Last edited:
Sorry I thought I saw an E at the end which would indicate an Ethernet type. Did you previously connect to it serially? You need a serial null modem cable. Also not all serial to USB adapters work.

ok mickey ill close out of rslogix5000 now i beleive i have rslinx on my bottom right hand tool bar. ill search and see if I find my compact logix controller. Now do i click on it if i see it and then click on my backplane then i click connect? After I connect then click into logix 5000 and go online. So if I go into logix 5000 first it wont let me go online unless i use rslinx first?

well jkerekes I have not used this to connect to it before. I just got hired on the job had the E & I laptop handed to me and now Im trying to communicate with all the plc's in the plant. So this is the first piece of equipment that has given me a problem now im learning. An output relay card had a contact weld shut on it today and I managed to troubleshoot it externally with I/0 lights and discovered the bad output card. I changed it out and was the hero but I need to communicate with it, it would help me troubleshoot faster if I can see the ladder logic.

Do you have an offline copy off the program, if so you can get the communication set up from that and set up RSLinx to match, you should then be able to go online. Also as you are using serial you may be able to use autoconfigure not all USB-serial support this feature.

Alan.(y)