FTalk ME mer backwards recovery

DamianInRochester

Lifetime Supporting Member
If I compile an .mer in Factory talk version 6 and up, and compile it as a V5.1, will FTalk 5.1 be able to recover that app to a development file in 5.1?

If so, does the use of Kepware drivers complicate this?

If I compile an .mer in Factory talk version 6 and up, and compile it as a V5.1, will FTalk 5.1 be able to recover that app to a development file in 5.1?

Nope. I believe the .mer version is for the firmware version of the PVP.

Hope this helps

That is a big negative. That will not work. Once an application has been "touched" by a newer version of Studio that is all she wrote. Only that version or a newer version can edit it. That is why Studio prompts you with a conversion warning prior to saving the project to the new revision.

Sorry.

I'm pretty sure that an application created in 6.0 but compiled as 5.1 would be able to be restored by someone with 5.1. The reasons I say this is because I found out recently that one of our service guys never upgraded to 6.0 (when everyone else had) and he has been able to work with the applications that we have been sending out.

But for science, here is an application that was created in 6.0 and saved as a 5.1. If anyone has 5.1, see if you can restore it:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31084543/Test/ThisIsATest.mer

edit: The kepware part I cannot answer...

OK, I think you have found a loop hole.

It appears that you can restore a 6.0 MER saved as 5.1 with 5.1 Application Manager.

However, you cannot restore a 5.1,6.0, or 6.1 application saved as 5.0 with 5.0 Application Manager.

You also cannot restore an application created with 6.1 and saved as 5.1 or 6.0 with 5.1 or 6.0 Application Manager.

It appears that 6.0 and 5.1 are compatible, however I do not think any of the other combinations will work.

Interesting

RSL

OK, I think you have found a loop hole.

It appears that you can restore a 6.0 MER saved as 5.1 with 5.1 Application Manager.

However, you cannot restore a 5.1,6.0, or 6.1 application saved as 5.0 with 5.0 Application Manager.

You also cannot restore an application created with 6.1 and saved as 5.1 or 6.0 with 5.1 or 6.0 Application Manager.

It appears that 6.0 and 5.1 are compatible, however I do not think any of the other combinations will work.

Interesting

RSL

Hi RSL,
Did you actually try out all those combinations?

Yes, I have VM's at all of those revisions and tested them.

What you said in your first post DOES work. It is the only combination I was able to make work though. I had seen this fail in the past and ASSUMED it would not work for any revision combinations.

RLS

That is really screwy. You would think that a PVP with 5.0 firmware and runnig a 5.0 mer file wouldn't know what development environment the mer file came from. Said another way, a V5.0 mer file for a given application would have to be the same regardless of the development environment it came from or the V5.0 firmware wouldn't be able to run it. Is it possible the V5.0 develpment can't recover ANY mer files?

Keith

I tend to agree with your thought process, it just does not seem to work that way.

Don't forget it is not just version 5.0. NOTHING can restore a 6.1 except 6.1 application manager.

RSL