PCI serial port success?

So I had an idea I thought was pretty clever. Since we have alot of legacy DOS equipment to support and laptops don't come with serial ports these days, we'd get a desktop and a PCI card with serial ports built in. Set up dual-boot to 6.22 and rock on. Maybe not the most portable thing in the world, but functional.

Only issue, the card itself. I'm considering the PCI1S550 from StarTech

http://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/Serial-Cards-Adapters/1-Port-16550-Serial-PCI-Card~PCI1S550

It has dos drivers and claims to be compatible, but of all the online comments about it, I found only one referencing DOS - everybody else is using it to connect old printers and modems under Win XP.

Has anybody used such a setup with success? Not nescessarily with this card, but something similiar?

Thanks!

TM

Hi TM,

Yes I have done it several times... but most desktops still come with serial ports so I have just used the supplied serial port

I also run DosBox (virtual DOS) and so far has worked great, I have done this for several customers

It's been a few years, but we used a Rocketport PCI to serial adapter to get multiple serial ports on a scada PC. I remember it being very solid and highly recommended at that time.

It doesn't list DOS drivers, but they are there if you drill into the support "tree".

You'll have to google it, since the forum doesn't like the text in the mfg. dot com name.

Last edited: