VPN CONNECTION for dsl

Justshoot

I've recently tried to setup a vpn connection for remote access for a customerwith a dsl modem router with Frontier as provider specifically a netgear unit b90 755044-15. With a cisco router vpn behind it this is were my problem starts. I open up the modem in the browser and click the connection status page tells me the modems ip address is 74.32.xx.xx figure great enable the VPN and go to firewall forward ports 1723, 1701, 49, 50, 443, 60443 and 23 also udp ports 500 to cisco routers address.
Configure Vpn users and password save and restart units double check everything looks good, then I noticed on the connection tab that the IP address changed, which is suppose to be static.
Call frontier and they tell me my static IP is 74.42.xx.xx so I ask the dumb question. Shouldn't the ip be in the wan address for modem, be the same as the static address, never got a answer. Other than another question does your internet work and it does.

I've setup alot of vpns with cable providers and its always been straight forward wan ip address in modem has always been your access IP, but am i missing something with DSL. I try to ping the address they give me for static and I get nothing yet they say they can ping it, but I ping the address in the modem and I get a response. If anyone can share some thoughts or ideas It would be greatly appreciated

Nope. A WAN IP will get you to the WAN and a LAN ip to the LAN.

Most modems you can type the public WAN address into a browser and get to the VPN Login / Management page.

If you want to take traffic from WAN to LAN in most cases you have to NAT the traffic unless you have a public ip address sitting on your LAn such as a web server.

Most modems / routers take port 80 and port 443 traffic to ogin to your VPN or management page.

Nope. A WAN IP will get you to the WAN and a LAN ip to the LAN.

Most modems you can type the public WAN address into a browser and get to the VPN Login / Management page.

If you want to take traffic from WAN to LAN in most cases you have to NAT the traffic unless you have a public ip address sitting on your LAn such as a web server.

Most modems / routers take port 80 and port 443 traffic to ogin to your VPN or management page.

Thank you for responding.

I guess thats my problem if i use the WAN IP i can ping the modem its xx remote management port is 2420 but if I use the static IP from frontier xx I get nothing I should still be able to ping that address correct. Also shouldn't that IP be in the WAN IP address.

The modem router is a odd ball as well a Netgear B90-7550 which I can't find anytype of manual on. Sometime ago netgear bought Westell which I believe why I can't find any information on it.

I will make some WAGS here.

Frontier is your primary ISP?

The modem you speak of is supplied by frontier? It is your ISP modem or primary connection to the internet?

The addresses you have given are different subnets. Are you sure something is not documented incorrectly? Have you setup the static IP in the modem? It may be in DHCP mode and that might be whay it has the other working address.

The modem should have a WAN and LAN side management interface. You need to get into this and you will need a manual on this unit.

Also it is not a good idea to post your public IP address with port references here on the forum as this is on the net forever.

Sounds like the ISP may have to set the modem to static on the WAN side. If you can change the wan settings on the modem get all the info from the isp and set it up for static.

It sounds like the modem is still in DHCP mode and not static. Do you have a computer plugged into it? Go to IP chicken and see what information you get.

If it is in DHCP you will need more than a IP address from the ISP to change this setup. You wil need a gateway address and subnet mask also and DNS addresses or you can use a public DNS like open DNS or Google DNS.

Last edited:
Check to see how often the wan ip changes? on every restart? Once a day? Once a week?

The isp should can tell you this. It jsut depends on what their lease time is.

Also if the modem has more than 1 lan side port in most modems some ports can be setup static and others dhcp.

Thanks again kind of sounds like my suspicion is right because i went to ip chicken when i had them on phone and the router wan address matched ip chicken not what frontier stated. Sorry the rest i understand i have it configured to a plc and it was working for 24 hrs but it just stopped and i wasnt done working yet. Come to find out ip address changed again.