Multiple PLC’s with one Panelview +.

cornbread

Lifetime Supporting Member
I currently have three identical machines that are controlled locally by a compact logic controller and PV+ HMI’s. I’ve been asked to add an additional HMI in a remote location to allow monitoring and control from that location. In searching this forum I found several posts that were quite helpful. I just want to make sure my understanding is correct, so any feedback is greatly appreciated.
I think this is do-able, providing I have unique tag names for each machine. Since I don’t have unique tags I’ll have to re-assign tags in my PLC’s & local PV+ (export /import) with unique tags.
The remote HMI would just be a merged copy of all three HMI’s.o_O

Unique tags in each machine would not be required; when using a tag in a object's connection you just have to choice the right PLC taht the tag resides in. In your communications setup, you'll define the 3 different PLCs. That's the difference.

So if I have a tag "PBA" in each machine, and I merge all three programs into one HMI program, when I select PBA on machine one, how does it know what PLC to go to?

So if I have a tag "PBA" in each machine, and I merge all three programs into one HMI program, when I select PBA on machine one, how does it know what PLC to go to?

You have to select the PLC, then the tag that is in that PLC. Remember, to talk to (3) different PLCs you have to define all 3 in your Communications Setup.