Can't connect via 1756-EBNT

I'm an instrument tech trying to cross train into automation. I've got Logix5000 (ver 16.4) on my laptop and a Control Logix (1756-L55) at home for practice.

I can talk to the rack via serial but not with my wireless connection. I have the rack connected to my router (and I can see it as an attached device using my router admin software). I can also use RSLinks Classic Lite (2.57) WITH my wireless to see the Ethernet IP card but I cannot drill down to the backplane.

The card displays the correct static IP address.
I've used IP config to verify my subnet and gateway.
I've deleted the module at slot 1 and re-installed it at slot 6. No help.
The Link and OK light are solid green but the Net light is blinking green.

What am I missing?

Is the 1756-ENBT module configured within the RSL5K project file?
Connect RSLogix to the CPU via RS-232 DF-1, upload the program file and ensure the 1756 bridge is present and properly configured within the project tree.
Edit:
Evidently you have done it and even moved the bridge around to no avail.
What revision RSLinx are you running?
Have you tried hard patching the Linx machine directly within the ENBT subnet?
You might need to use an Ethernet/IP wireless bridge in order to "translate" over the 802.11 b, g, n.
Every wireless connection I have ever made to a Logix system used a dedicated ProSoft wireless bridge.
http://www.prosoft-technology.com/prosoft/products/industrial_wireless/industrial_hotspot

Last edited:
I don't think it's as dire as all that since as you said, you can see the module. I suspect your laptop isn't properly recognizing the ENBT module. Where you say "....but I cannot drill down to the backplane". That's kind of telling.

We need to get a new/updated EDS file. That file can be obtained from the device itself, or from Rockwell's web site.

Try this......

Open RSLinx
Use the Ethernet or serial connections to browse to the ENBT module
Right-click on the module and see if you have an option to Upload EDS file

If that option is available, then go ahead and get the EDS file this way. If it is not available, then you can go to:

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/resources/eds/

Select Ethernet/IP and then enter "1756-ENBT" for the Catalog #. You will get EDS files for all the different major revisions of the ENBT.

Once you have downloaded the EDS file(s), then go to Start ==> Programs ==> Rockwell Software ==> RSLinx ==> Tools ==> EDS Hardware Installation Tool. This tool will add the EDS files to your system and will allow your PC to recognize the ENBT module.

OG

I pulled the EDS from the module. That made the yellow question mark go away but it did not solve my communication issue. I also got the latest EDS from Rockwell and used the tool as you described, no luck.

I'll attach / load a couple of pics to see if I'm overlooking something in these configuration settings. Notice that when I access the module using http I can see the rack.

All help is appreciated.

1756EBNT_HTML.jpg 1756EBNT_RACK.jpg Module General.jpg Module Port.jpg RSLinx.jpg

this probably isn't your problem - but ...

try grasping at the following straws ...

if you don't have it figured out by tomorrow afternoon, I'll see if I have one of these in the lab and try to duplicate your problem ...

are you still trying wireless? ... if so, try just a simple wired connection first - then when you get that working, put the wireless in place ...

good luck ...

enbt.PNG

try grasping at the following straws ...

if you don't have it figured out by tomorrow afternoon, I'll see if I have one of these in the lab and try to duplicate your problem ...

are you still trying wireless? ... if so, try just a simple wired connection first - then when you get that working, put the wireless in place ...

good luck ...

I turned off BootP and DNS. Also set the revision level back to 4.3. When I click the plus sign next to the module in RSLinx I loose the image of the module and the plus sign changes to a minus, then nothing else happens.

Since my last post I've connected directly to the module with a know good crossover cable with the same results. I've also flashed the card and my controller. Both had the latest firmware but I flashed them anyhow.

I've downloaded and installed the latest EDS (twice) and deleted the harmony files.

I'm stumped.

I drop ENBT's into racks all the time to talk to the CLX CPU. Since the equipment is hot swappable, I can install and remove the ENBT without cycling power.

The ENBT is only required in the I/O list, if you are sharing information across the ethernet network. (ie an HMI using ethernet to read and write information to the processor.)

If you are only trying to talk to the processor across the back plane, the ENBT is not required in the RSLGX5K software.

An example, I have a redundant system that does not use ethernet. I want to install updated firmware on the hardware. I drop an ENBT into the rack, disable the synchronization, and now I am able to flash the "disqualified secondary."

So, are you saying that you see the ENBT in the rack, using RSLinx, but the rack does not appear when you click on the "+" to the left of the module?

MarkN

JRB,

I find your question interesting. His IP& Mask appear to be pretty typical, according to his "Module Port.jpg." (192.168.1.20 & 255.255.255.0)

The fact that RSLinx sees the module ... Would that not indicate that the network info was correct? (Hey I'm all ears if your going to teach me a new trick!)

MarkN

So, are you saying that you see the ENBT in the rack, using RSLinx, but the rack does not appear when you click on the "+" to the left of the module?

MarkN

You are correct, that is exactly what happens. If I go into Logix5000 - RS Who and I see the module listed below my serial connection but when I select the Ethernet module there all of the options to the right (go online - update firmware- etc) are grayed out.

Auto -

Let's stop there.

Open RSLinx. Do not use RSLX5K.

DO not use your DF1 connection.

Select Ethernet IP (I think)

Do you see the rack?

With subnet mask 255.255.255.0
To connect, the computers IP address would have to be ,,,

192.168.1.(some number other than 20 (in the range of 2-254))

Auto,

What is your IP address of your laptop? Open a shell by selecting: Start > Run > Type "CMD" > OK At the DOS Prompt enter "ipconfig" - without the quotes.

JRB -

It did not dawn on me that his laptop might not be on the same network!

Geez, that's why they ask if your TV is plugged in first!

MarkN