RSLogix 500 Application Dropping I/O

kjmc1234

I am trying to load some code into a SLC5/05 rack. (I am brand new to working directly with PLCs, I get the concept and have seen them but I have never created a project and loaded it, that type of stuff) With that discalimer...

my problem is that when I loaded the code and switched back to RUN I lost I/O and got alarms. Only a handful, some Thermocouple Inputs that happen to be on one card and looks like some discrete that I did not look into which card had them.

I went to the I/O Config, card, configre -> adv configure and the values are all default values. There are two of the cards, I looked at the other(which was not alarming) and the config looks legit.

When this happened I went to a known working systme and uploaded code from that, went to the same card in the config and it showed up as not configured? Granted I didn't go to the "Read Config" to read the plcs config but still, its a working system I think I "should" be pulling all the info...rungs, i/o config...all except the comments without having to specifically use the "read I/O" command.

SO when I browse the project file I was given then browse an uploaded and fully finctioning one they both show the I/O for that particular card as unconfigured. THe other discrete I/O is probaly on the same card as well.

If it matters, the good config card is slot 7 and the default(but should be configured) card is slot 8.

Has anyone had this happen? I uninstalled RSLogix and installed a later version...8.3 CPR9.

Any Thoughts?

Sorry for the typos, its late.

If you zip your .RSS file and post it here, also list what module is in each slot by part number, including the power supply part number.

Some one will be able to help you.

Last edited:
Granted I didn't go to the "Read Config" to read the plcs config but still, its a working system I think I "should" be pulling all the info...rungs, i/o config...all except the comments without having to specifically use the "read I/O" command.
It will happen about 5 out of 10 times. Someone probably needed some more inputs and added a card in slot 8. The old program you loaded had only 7 configured, so naturally the PLC did not try to read Slot 8 because you did not tell it to. It only does what you tell it. If you want to be sure, do the "Read Config" step, then do a program save to capture the actual I/O instead of what it used to be once upon a time.