IGNORANCE in WATTAGE (micrologix 1200)

jommunar

hi to all!!

may i ask something. i have a 40 I/O micrologix 1200 1762 L40BXB. and i have a keyence switching power supply with 1.6A 24V output. so if i calculate it, i have a 38W power supply yes? the L40BXB wattage requirement is 37Watts. is it ok if i use the 1.6A power supply? or do i need to need a higher wattage power supply? and what if i connect 1pc of 16 input module and 3pcs of 16output modules, will it require higher wattage with this config coz i cannat seem to find wattage requirements for individual modules? thanks in advance!!

jomar

look at the specs of the plc - power requirements.
watts = volts * amps.

i would put a power supply twice the size you specified. you are loading the power supply to close to the max.

if you add i/o to the power supply, you must know what the sensor power requirements are. i typically use 12ma for inputs. you must look at each output device. if its a coil, add extra for surge current.

regards,
james

I agree with James. If we don´t know the quantity and type of sensors used (inputs) and the type of outputs (relays, valves, motor starters etc.), we can´t help you choose the correct power supply. If I were you, and since it looks like you are having some difficulty, I would play it safe and go for 3 A PS. The 1.6A PS is too SHORT.

Theoritically it can work, however your power supply must only be connected to your main cpu.all incoming and outgoing from the inputs and outpus must be separated.

Cheers,

i got a 6.5A omron PS instead. :)

Way to go(y)

If in doubt on power supply size check the price of a supply that is double the size
remember VA (As Stated above) and coil inrush currents
(approx 3 times holding current)