run a vfd to plc

Set up the drive to take the input as "run forward" or "run reverse".
Some drives may require an enable signal so that can be looped off the drives 24V supply if using current sinking inputs.
Don't forget your safety requirements!

It would help us to help you if you gave us more information.

What PLC?

What VFD?

What communication do you have available between PLC and VFD?

Mark

In most VFD's I have worked, you need 2 outputs from the PLC (enable+CW and CCW)and 1 Input to the PLC to tell the plc the drive is OK. You will also need an emergency stop signal to the VFD which is done most of the times with hardwires.

I want to run a VFD through plc signals....how many inputs signals to need to run vfd?i.e, START,STOP,RUN FORWRD & REVERSE....

Depends on what you want to do... Minimum of 1 (2 for Fwd/Rev), but you may use all of them.

Does the PLC need to determine/change the speed of the drive?
If the PLC crashes, how important is it that the drive stops? (If it is motion, then you will probably want 3-Wire control)

To hardwire the drive, the PLC is of little importance (Although I would probably recommend relay type outputs to a drive.)

You will need one analog output for speed (frequency) unless you are going to use fixed speeds or MOP (floating point control).

Not enough data given to be very specific.

RTFM

Whenever I start with new equipment I get the manual, look at the features and general description, and then I look at the wiring diagrams. These will tell you the various functions available. Then, based on the job you are trying to do, you can decide which of those you want to use, and then how to make that happen based on the wiring diagram. This workd for VFDs, and motor starters, and valve operators, and PLCs and .......

As "rdrast", I'm using only filed bus control as Profibus, Device Net, Profnet, Ethet Cat etc.
I can get and animate Process data from VFD as: Fault-ID, Power, Current, Torque etc..
Finally, field bus cost less than BIO/AIO control and gives much more usability.