Siemens installation requirements bugs me (WinCC flex 2008)

HJTRBO

Cool, the boss bought me a long awaited new HP Probook Windows 7 laptop with a serial port.
My (not that old) Siemens software isn't allowed to be run under Win 7. Not suprised as I knew that already. But I can run Step 5 perfectly through the command window in Win 7! That annoys me. But I am up and running through XP mode and the pass through comms seem ok so far.
Before I go, if anyone knows how to hack up the install files on WinCC flex advanced 2008 to run on Win 7 I would like to know!?

Is it 32 or 64bit Windows 7 ?

For 64bit you need to install from WinCC Flexible 2008 SP3 installation package or use windows xp mode.

2008 SP2 runs on Win 7 32-bit.

For Win 7 64-bit, upgrade to 2008 SP3.
You need to buy a full 2008 SP3 install DVD. It is not expensive. It is not possible to install the full 2008 SP2 and then add SP3.

2008 SP2 runs on Win 7 32-bit. Win 7 64-bit, upgrade to 2008 SP3.
You need to buy a full 2008 SP3 install DVD. It is not expensive. It is not possible to install the full 2008 SP2 and then add SP3.

I have SP2 as the downloadable package from the Siemens support site, however I thought I had to get SP1 installed first. Anzac day here today so I'll head past the workshop and get the discs on the way out for lunch with the lady.

You might want to consider just continuing to use the software in an XP VM. I have come to prefer it than running it in the host OS.

I do find the XP integration seamless.

Thanks.

I have SP2 as the downloadable package from the Siemens support site, however I thought I had to get SP1 installed first.
You can install any SP on top of any of the previous releases of the same version. Also 2008 without any SP.

For Win 7 32-bit, you can install 2008+SP2 and add SP3 later.
For Win 7 64-bit, there is a gotcha that only the full 2008+SP3 can install, so you cannot install any previous 2008 version and then add SP3.

Problem i have is only having the original issue wincc 2008 so i'm bound by those install requirements.
But,
I did have a play (hack) with the intall files with Orca...
Didn't work out to well. Managed to get it installed but i have issues with the SQL integration side of the software.
Anyway, as per my original post I am running perfectly through XP mode. Just thought it would be nice to have it all in one place. Hopefully the boss shells out for V11 now that some of the (workarounable) bugs are in the public domain.
Thanks for your replies, much obliged.

I had the same problem with wincc, and step 7, unfortunately step7 5.5 does not run under win7 64 bit. only under win 7 32 bit. i didn't have the time and the patience to reinstall win 7 so i did a virtual box in which i istalled an xp, and the programs run ok i guess...

WinCC Flex 2008 SP2 runs in Win7 32-bit. You can download SP2 for free from Siemens website.

WinCC Flex 2008 SP3 runs in Win7 64-bit. To install under Win 7 64-bit you need the full installation DVD, not just the SP. You can purchase an installation DVD without a license for a small fee.

(Is it the 3rd time I say the same thing in the same thread ? I think so).

Same goes for STEP7.

No dis respect jesper but when i install straight sp2 it faults out because no previous version has been installed. But to apease you i will try again this weekend.

The Service Packs that you download from Siemens, will not install unless there is a previous version. (That is listed on the support site when you download the SP).
So, if you want Win 7 64 bit, you must have install media for Flex 2008 SP3, for Step 7 you need media for Step 7 V5.5 SR2.
If you don't have the media, you can order it from Siemens or from a distributor. The demo media will also work (AT least it has for me).

HJTRBO- A servicepack is always installed ontop a full previous version of the software.
Install your 2008 then install SP2.

Is it weird that i'm thoroughly enjoying the back and forward???

I can't install my initial release wincc 2008 on windows 7. Lol 🤾🤾🤾🤾