Ethernet Point IO Configuration

cirrusphil

Before anyone asks, I don't have access to an AB processor...

The documentation from AB suggests that the only way to configure Point IO with a 1734-AENTR module is through RSLogix yet surely its merely an Ethernet IP device? The EDS files i've found seem only to define the adaptor, not how the IO is mapped (or even how long the packet of data is...). Having looked at the onboard webpage it appears that my IO is jumbled up and in slots 55 to 63 (4 IB4 units, 4 OB4 units and an OE2V, with a couple of PSU blocks in for good measure). How the heck does one sort that lot out?

It won't be talking to anything else AB so I guess rack optimisation is out of the window (plus it appears to be as it has an Analogue unit anyway)?

Anyone done this with any success?

Cheers in advance, guys..

I am only familiar with the 1734-AENT.

All you have to do is drop the card in the hardware tree of your project, then assign the appropriate IO modules. From there you select/deselect rack optimization...etc. It maps itself...

It's pretty intuitive, unless of course you are trying to use this IO with a controller other than AB ControlLogix/CompactLogix controller??

DeviceNet's a lot simpler in this case because there are full EDS files for every 1734 series module, and you can make direct connections to each module using a 1734-PDN adapter to connect them physically to the network. I have done this successfully with a KUKA robot.

But on EtherNet/IP, you have to deal with the layer of the 1734-AENT adapter.

I don't think there is anything vendor-specific: there's a Rack Optimized connection and then ordinary proxied Module connections to the analog stuff.

But if you aren't already very familiar with the EtherNet/IP object model it's going to be a big challenge.

Does the ABB robot provide a "Scanner" object that can be configured with RSNetworx for EtherNet/IP software ?

No chance of DeviceNet - the whole system is on Ethernet/IP.

No Scanner; you just set the IP address and copy some of the information from the EDS file but the EDS file for the AENT adaptor is just for the adaptor, not for the DI/DO/AO modules (which have seperate EDS files..?).

I tried going via the web interface on the adaptor and found it odd that the modules were seemingly mixed up in terms of slot numbers..and at the end of the range (but not sequentially).

It's probable that none of the Forum members viewing this thread have experience with both your model of robot and POINT I/O, so please explain what sort of configuration tools ABB provides for configuring I/O connections with EtherNet/IP devices. Descriptions, screenshots, user manuals... right now nobody has a point of reference.

One of the features of RSNetworx for EtherNet/IP software is a configuration applet for third party scanner devices. If your ABB robot uses this type of Scanner, you'll probably need RSNetworx for EtherNet/IP. But I would expect ABB's documentation to refer to RSNetworx software if it was necessary.

Putting my old technical salesman's hat back on: was the combination of ABB robot and POINT I/O suggested by ABB, by Rockwell Automation, or put together independently ?

Hi Ken,

As far as I can tell, the ABB works with other devices by assuming they are statically configured; i.e. plug and go. Add in the necesary bits from an EDS file (they don't use EDS files directly) and theoretically "go". This seems to be fine where the interface is constant (i.e. a 16 point input module) but problems occur when the data structure is seemingly dynamic depeding upon what is actually fitted (as in the case of Point IO).

We've managed to configure the Point IO by attaching it to a Logix 5000 PLC; now to see if it will work standalone (and we can see the IO!).

I have a feeling that whilst the Point IO does conform to the Etehrnet/IP standard, it certainly isn't "plug and play"...which is probably going to cause a problem in the future..

As for the initial choice, it looks like 2+2 = 7; ONE AB Ethernet/IP module (a fixed 16 point unit) has been proven to work with the ABB robot previously and I think there's been as assumption that ALL AB Ethernet/IP IO will work, hence this decision. Ah well..