hello, VERY basic step 7 program !!!

stonez

HELP, and hello! First of all I want to say that i'm new to all this plc stuff.

I have a s7-300 cpu on my desk right now. It was kind of a "present" from the firm i work for so I can begin understanding programming and so on.

the cpu is: 313-6ce01-0ab0

I've started step7, added the module onto the rail, configured the network on MPI, and started to program some very basic stuff (lad), and after some time i managed to get it on the memory card in the plc.

Now I would like to do a simple program for starters, something like flashing the input and output leds on the DI/DO module... Maybe do a 10 second light-show with timers. (one led comes on, than another, than 3 leds, you get the idea)

help is much appreciated

Last edited:
Configure the clock byte (in the h/w/ config) to write to MB0 and then use these flashing bits to control your outputs to verify that you can see the outputs flashing before proceeding further.

Open the Hardwareconfiguration.

Open the cpu-properties.

Open the tab with cycle/clockmemory

Enable the clockmemory, fill in a MB-number e.g. MB0 (if you press F1, you will get help on the subject).

Download the hardware to the cpu.

In your program you can use M0.0, M0.1 to M0.7, each merker has a different on-off-period.

As Ivo suggests - you wll see your output LEDs flash (if they have power)

Next step - generating your own flasher:

Code FB1 as follows:

fls.jpg

im on it right now... till then please explain why we do it this way so i could understand. please

Later edit: something is not working...

Last edited:
Okay, i did the program as you guys said.

After this i've downloaded it onto the memory card in the plc.

After this I wired 2 cables, 24 volts onto the 2L+ and 30 pin of the digital output connections. (second hole in the first row, and second hole last row)

this should do it ? its not working...

Last edited:
im on it right now... till then please explain why we do it this way so i could understand. please

Later edit: something is not working...

Flashing light can be used to notify somebody to a faulty operation.

Try to write this code:

if the motor is OFF, then the indicator light is OFF

if the motor is ON, then the indicator light is ON
or
if the switch indicator_test is ON, then the indicator light is ON
or
if the motor is overheated, then the indicator light is flashing.

Okay, i did the program as you guys said.

After this i've downloaded it onto the memory card in the plc.

After this I wired 2 cables, 24 volts onto the 2L+ and 30 pin of the digital output connections. (second hole in the first row, and second hole last row)

this should do it ? its not working...

On the inside of the small 'door' that is protecting the wiring, their is a print-out of how to wire your I/O.

I guess that you have wired 1L+ en 2L+ but not 'M'.

This will be a long and painful journey trying to learn Step 7 one post at a time in here.

I would suggest you read a few books first.

Step 7 in 7 steps is the best I found for starting out and being able to actually understand what is going on.

http://www.amazon.com/STEP-Steps-Implementing-Programmable-Controllers/dp/1889101036

Later the Berger books may be of interest, but in the beginning, you will have no idea what Berger is talking about. There are times when I don't understand Berger even when I know how to do the task he is describing.

Then try

http://www.plcdev.com/siemens_simatic_step_7_programmers_handbook

The whole site is pretty good as a reference.

Then see if you can obtain the simulator software, it comes with the new version or the PRO version of Step7.

It can be easier than trying to use a hardware PLC.

If you want to use the hardware PLC, wire up a couple switches on the inputs, I have used paper clips to make a quick switch. You can watch the output LEDs or connect a relay or something. I like a relay because it is a safe small output device that makes noise and you can hear it operate while still watching the PC screen.

Buzzers will just be annoying.

Good luck with your studies, you are in for a long ride. If this is a real interest of yours, it will also be a fun ride.

Good Luck.

This will be a long and painful journey trying to learn Step 7 one post at a time in here.

I would suggest you read a few books first.

Step 7 in 7 steps is the best I found for starting out and being able to actually understand what is going on.

http://www.amazon.com/STEP-Steps-Implementing-Programmable-Controllers/dp/1889101036

Later the Berger books may be of interest, but in the beginning, you will have no idea what Berger is talking about. There are times when I don't understand Berger even when I know how to do the task he is describing.

Then try

http://www.plcdev.com/siemens_simatic_step_7_programmers_handbook

The whole site is pretty good as a reference.

Then see if you can obtain the simulator software, it comes with the new version or the PRO version of Step7.

It can be easier than trying to use a hardware PLC.

If you want to use the hardware PLC, wire up a couple switches on the inputs, I have used paper clips to make a quick switch. You can watch the output LEDs or connect a relay or something. I like a relay because it is a safe small output device that makes noise and you can hear it operate while still watching the PC screen.

Buzzers will just be annoying.

Good luck with your studies, you are in for a long ride. If this is a real interest of yours, it will also be a fun ride.

Good Luck.

Omg, don't scare me dude, i have to to learn this stuff for work. On the hardware part, we have lots of siemens plc's, modules and materials.

I very much appreciate the help, its great because i realize it is possible to learn these things.

Now i have some days off work, i will definitely look into the books and documentations, and come back for more.

On the program part, the program that L D[AR2,P#0.0] did for me, i did dowloaded it into the plc and it worked !!!

I will be back with another method for it, for the flashing.