Controllogix upgrade using existing 1746 I/O, including 1203-sm1 scanport

Hello

Upgrading to a ControlLogix processor using existing 1746 I/O
(If it ain't broke why fix it?)

Main Rack 0 - 13 Slot Chassis
Expansion Rack 1 - 13 Slot Chassis - Slot 12: 1203-SM1 - 1305 VFD's
Expansion Rack 2 - 7 Slot Chassis - Slots 0 through 4: 1203-SM1- 1305 VFD's

Planning to replace PLC 5/05 in Rack 0 - Slot 0 with 1747-AENT

Has anyone had any experience with this type of config ?
My concern is the 1203-SM1 modules being properly scanned by the ControlLogix.

Any comments are appreciated

Peter

I don't think the AENT will support expansion racks. I would look at the manuals to verify. You are probably going to migrate at least the SM modules.

Are those drives talking something weird? I haven't used them.

Your plan won't work as you have it.

The 1747-AENT is good for 1 physical chasis only so you would ned 1 for each chasis.

It also does not support intelligent modules such as comm cards so it will not work with your 1203-SM1 modules.

Also 1305 drives have been obsolete for a very long time now and if you have one fail you will find it very difficult if not impossible to replace it or get it fixed at this point.

If I were you and doing a upgrade I would replace those drives with something else like power flex 750 series over ethernet.

You don't want to wait until one of these 1305 drives fail to start doing this as converting them to power flex is not a simple job even if you are doing very simple things with the drives.

You may want to take this into consideration.

Quote:

Upgrading to a ControlLogix processor using existing 1746 I/O
(If it ain't broke why fix it?)

Is the SLC505 broken? Because if not.. I mean, those are lovely PLS's. :)