XP, RSlinx Classic Ethernet to SLC/505 - Please Help

billhenry

Good Evening,

I just received a new laptop and need some assistance.
My old setup worked well. So same cables, Ethernet Switch etc. Only thing new is laptop.

I tried using Ethernet and EthernetIP drivers. I recall needing net submask etc to match. I looked through Logic to find IP for Processor using Ethernet driver I entered that IP in top slot.

Tried Ping in command prompt, no go.

What communication settings do I need in my Laptop, also any assistance with The RSlinx/drivers settings would be appreciated.

PC settings were all automatic obtains, also made sure to disable wireless and that RSlinx was not starting up, deleted all drivers started from scratch in RSlinx etc. I know it should be simple, but not today.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

You need to change the TCP/IP settings of your laptop's network adapter to be on the same subnet that your PLC is. This is outside of RSLinx.

Example:
SLC 5/05 is set to 192.168.1.10, Subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

Go to the Control Panel (from the Start Menu).
Go to "Network Connections"
Right Click on your Local Area Connection (or which ever adapter you are currently trying to use, there may be multiples).
Click "Properties"
Scroll down to "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)"
Click on it, and choose Properties.
Click the box next to "Use the following IP address"

In this case, you'd want to use an IP like 192.168.1.15 (not the same as the PLC) and subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 (Same as the PLC).

Hit OK, then OK again.
Now your laptop is on the same local network as your PLC and RSLinx will be able to connect to your PLC.

Bill,
If your computer was set up by your IT department, Then there default is usually set to DHCP. Not what your PLC is probably set to. So, are you using Windows7?
Your PLC is going to be set to a specific IP address, for instance:
192.168.1.XXX and 255.255.255.0, So your laptop has to match that except maybe 192.168.2.XXY
XXX and XXY need to be between 1 & 255, but unique. We'll start there until a network wiz chimes in.

George

George, It is Windows XP

Unfortunately IT was involved in supplying this PC. My previous one was not.
I am at home now but think that it was DHCP. I do not that in the communications for TCP IP every option was on default/auto.

Tharon, Thanks for the details. I will try all that, I also printed out the RSlinx Manual. I think another problem is the file I looked at the IP pof the processor could be incorrect. It was 10.202.203.105 for the processor which I thought seemed odd, NOt the usual 198.162.x.x I did also notice the Submask was 255.255.0.0 for the lap top and 255.255.254.0 for the processor.

Thank you both. I will go in in the morning and try again. I guess I should have saved all my config details, before it was too late. Of course when things work for years, remembering how it was set up is foggy. I usually IT seems to set something that is not standard as well.

Thanks again, I will report back with my success or more questions. This makes sense though.

Much appreciated

Thanks for the assistance.

Took about 5 minutes and all was well. Only had to replace the switch that was changed as it was "unmanaged" and the gateway could not be assigned. It did not show and was preventing other processors on the network from showing when connecting in that panel.

Much appreciated.