IpV4 and IpV6

Nigasai

Hi,
I'm used to have window Xp for quite longtime with my programming, now the company i work with is using window 7 for some logix and Ftview software. when I go to the internet protocol to connect to the PLC I see IpV4 and IpV6 which confuses me. any technical idea?.. i want to fully understand between this two, can this two have different IP address?.. so if I connect to the PLC network my laptop have 2 IP address.. wierd.. o_O

cheers,

IPv6 is a new addressing system that is starting to be used on the public side of the internet. It increases the number of ip addresses available to where there are approximately enough addresses for everyone on earth to have an address for every cell in their bodies. If you really want to know more, just google it.

IPv4 is what we have been using for a while. It has addresses that are 4 sections of 8 bits like 192.168.100.1

For local machine networks, IPv4 is what I see being used for the forseeable future. Many computers have ipv6 disabled by default.

oh .. Thank you ndzied1,for your straight answer.. I read some notes in google but it confuses me, they go one big round..

Psssst, this will weird you out even more.
Even with IPv4, your NIC can have multiple IP addresses.
This is fun one to troubleshoot.....

Hi Jeebs,
Yeah maybe your talking about the wireless and the patch.. to tell you, i have a real problem with Window 7 in the dealing with networking.. can IPv4 and IPv6 eanble at same time, if its yes,then they can have 2 local network ip addresses.. why make this things so complecated for a hardcore PLC programmers.. I know only a few PLC expert is also expert in networking.. haysss..

IPv6

Explains all you need to know about IPv6.
I wouldn't be too bothered by it really, it's not like there's any PLC that's looking for an IPv6 address yet.

Multiple IP's can be created in any Windows OS.
Multiple IP's for the same network card.
See image for more info.

Multiple_IP.jpg