New to PLCs need help

bertbryant

Im trying to figure out how you guys got a diploma or cert. I cant seem to find a school that offers it online. Im trying to further my self in the electrical field that i currently work in and plcs are one of the top to do things as is going to become a est3 programmer. Im sure that somebody else has asked this before but any information would be great. Thanks for helping me. Bert

Don't ask me, I never got a diploma or a cert. I'm just an old electrician that hacked my way into a job.

That said, having an electrical background is an excellent way to get into the business. Plus, most maintenance guys won't mess with one of their own. And if need be, I can still be the electrician. :)

In this business, you will find that ability trumps education most of the time (basically, if the guy is dumb or lazy, then no amount of paper is going to make up for that).

Back in the day, it mattered less whether you had a degree or not. I worked with a farmer, a draftsman, and of all things, a preacher that were very good programmers.

Nowadays, colleges are beginning to catch up with the industry. But you had better do your homework before signing up at a school. Be sure that it is properly accredited (start here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/), and back check any promises as to their placement success stories.

(I got my start after hacking my way into a Series Six PLC one night and fixing it. After they chewed my butt out the next day for pulling that stunt, they gave me the job). That translated into a job starting up Midwest Conveyor equipment at Saturn, which then translated into a job at Saturn.

GM (which is who we are now), is very egalitarian when it comes to hiring engineers. I don't think that this necessarily comes from good will per se, but more from the thousands of dollars -per second- that downtime costs us. We simply can't afford to have someone who can't troubleshoot and fix things quickly. So if you can do the job, you get the job. You can even show up in a clown suit if you like, just keep the line running.

Of the five "engineers" in our group, four of us have no degree. The one that does, is our "noob" :) having "only" 13 years of experience at Bridgestone. Hardly a noob...

He is very sharp, but it takes quite awhile to learn all of the various pieces of equipment that go into a car plant.

But when things pick up, which they appear to be at the moment, (based on the number of recruiters that have contacted me in the last month or so), companies will pick up anyone who can "fog glass" to cover shutdowns and such. There's your chance.

As for where to go for your education, be very wary of technical colleges that offer a "quicky" degree. Most of these aren't going to provide you with the education that you will need to actually do the job. And I don't think that many companies are going to be fooled either.

A formal four-year degree is a better choice as far as schooling goes since there are a lot of companies that will not consider anything less than an engineering degree or a very impressive amount of experience (to give you an idea as to how long I've been at this, I used to fly kites with Ben Franklin).

The more technical, the better. And be careful of putting all of your emphasis on "higher" languages such as C or Java, the techniques that you learn with these languages often don't translate well in the PLC world. Or as I once told a GM section head (and got into a fair amount of trouble over it), "think PLC, not PLC++".

Currently, there are a couple of Noobs working for contractors at the plant. One with a four-year degree, and one without. Both are doing as well as can be expected based on their experience, and I help both of them out when I can (last week it was troubleshooting DeviceNet with one of these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oeu710LgyJk). I can't predict if either of them is going to make it, but based on how they are doing so far, I don't see why not.

Both of them are showing the ability to listen and pay attention when we try to show them how something works. That alone counts for a lot. I really have little patience for someone who won't listen (nor is it my responsibility to train contractors, but someone gave me a chance, so I try to pass it on).

Good luck. :)

very well said... yes I do agree, usually expert programmers evolve from a simple technician or engineers into a skillful one.. attitude really counts, if you go for a PLC training you have only 2 weeks before you forget anything and everything you know if you dont practice it..

cheers..

I am just an electrical fitter and learned myself from making the usual amount of boo boos. I am more qualified in management and marketing (degrees) than in my trade.
I have been refused applications for jobs because I do not have a piece of paper - quite funny when you tell them you do have a piece of paper - a management degree - end of conversation - threat to their job if they employ you.

Drat, I provided the link to a DSO 201 rather than a DSO 203. And I didn't catch it until my one hour edit grace period had expired.

The 203 is very impressive, and fits nicely in your shirt pocket (and let's be honest, what self-respecting nerd wouldn't want an o-scope that fits in their shirt pocket?)

I've been using it to troubleshoot DeviceNet networks, and for that purpose, it does a very good job. So to be clear, I'm referring to the DSO203 Quad.

i am an electrician, and i would want to take a college degree, however i cannot afford to go fulltime to school as i have a family to provide for. so i just keep plugging away learning stuff on my own time or at work when i get the chance to work with our one programmer. my company keeps saying they will give me my chance, but i am still waiting. however i show him what i have done on my own time and he knows i am willing to learn so hopefully soon i will get the chance. i amn paitient waiting for that chance. the only thing that is a ****off is that the boss's son jumped ahead of me and gets to program now. sigh, lol. oh well. i just keep telling myself, one day i will have my chance. in the meantime i have gathered old equipment from job renovations, and thats what i play with at home on my own time. lol, id reccomend picking up one of those cheap plcs at directautomation.com, if you arent as lucky as me to end up with old equipment.

@DwSoFt

You don't tell what PLC type you care for, but if you'd like to learn CoDeSys/IEC61131, you'll find free software with simulation feature here: www.3s-software.com
And check Youtube for tutorials.

Kalle

Thank you. I'm willing to learn whatever I can when I get the chance, so thank you I will try it out this week. I didn't start this thread I was just trying to tell the guy that the oldschool way into this is to self teach yourself, but also find an oppurtunity to do it for some customer and prove yourself. Plus, being an electrician has its benefits for troubleshooting a problem as apposed to an engineer as someone else already posted. Me, I've personally got experience with AB and OMRON PLCs. Only because that's what I've gotten to work on so far. And also have used plcs from thosebrands at home to play around with.

I would say if you want PLC work then Electrical Engineering degree is what you want.

CompEng is more C/C++. The not so great part of getting an Electrical Engineering degree is that you will have to learn all aspects of EE (power, electromagnetic, C++, microwave circuits, electronics and digital logic). Also, a four year degree is a commitment with a lot of rough patches. I think the degree will open the doors a lot easier then hoping you can move up in a company. If you get the job that is an entirely different story.

Also, with the latest movement of corporations they will love that you can do EE work but they aren't going to pay you for it (meaning you get paid as your titled job but get to do much harder tasks/responsibilities). Without the degree someone else is still suppose to sign off on your work, so ITT schools still puts you at a disadvantage.

And, make sure you work while in school. I recommend IT work because it makes you really understand trouble shooting. If you can understand trouble shooting in any field it is really easy to transition to whatever you end up doing. Oh and IT work you can generally do through your University and be able to do your homework while you work.

Remember too, the economy is changing fairly fast (decades). A lot of these guys started in the 90’s or the 80’s. Companies have started shipping engr. jobs out of the country (cheaper). I think the latest study (of all degrees) was that 1 out of 2 graduates don’t have a job or underemployed. So, experience is worth more than gold right now. Meaning, engr. degree doesn’t guarantee anything when you have someone with 5+ years experience willing to take entry level wages.

Last edited:
oh, its not that i wouldnt want to take electrical engineering, rather i have a wife and 2 kids to take care of, house an car payments. i cannot to afford to go to college or university. there is a college in my province that has been heavily annoucing their new, accredited 2 year course, called automaition and manufacturing engineering, basically programming in a nutshell, but i cannot even afford that. and many engineers can program but cannot troubleshoot. so someone who can troubleshoot and program is valuable. but like you said, then u wait on the right opportunity more so than when u have a degree. initially ladder logic was developed to allow an electrician to program it so.

I agree, family comes first and not getting into huge debt is probably the best bet. You might talk to your employer about a reimbursement program they might have (or willing to do for you). Some companies have it set up that they will pay for your school if you promise to stay with the company for a couple years after completion of your course work.

From what I have noticed in bigger corporations is the people that can't do the job move up (or move out) and the people that can do the job can't move up because nobody can do there job. Its your choice and your goals in the end. (I'm just giving my 2 cents on it.)

I actually got a degree in Electrical Engineering since I am good at math and nothing else. In school I programmed different processors the Altera DE II Nios board using FPLDs, Microcontrollers such as the HCS12 using assembly and a little bit of C a lot of Mat Lab. For my senior design project a company that makes cables for BP, Exxon, ETC came to our school and asked us if we would do a project using everything that they provided they happen to be using a Siemens s7300 CPU and then I got into it enjoyed it and now i'm a controllers engineer that programs, troubleshoots, and implements new assembly machines. I just happen to fall into it.

I am an Electrician an by trade (or blood) my grandfather and all my brothers are electrician's, my dad is an EE. I taught myself to program PLCs. The best education I got was a good work ethic. I have never seen a lazy electrician, EE or any other degreed person that was good at programing. Keep up the effort to learn, good thing come to those who wait! I have a good Friend who went 10 years part time to get a degree and he has since worked on just about every countries interface to the international space station and traveled all over the world to do so. He started out as an electrician ,raised a family and succeeded in life because he never gave up!

Yes I agree, I am patiently awaiting my chance. However I keep doing what I can to learn more at homeas best as I can. And deff. About the good work ethic. My company used to have aschool reimburse thing but now that we were bought out thinks have kinda went south sadly.

Also I chose electrician because I love the math an physics and also nobody else in my family is an electrician, most of them arer mechanics, but my dad was too broke to help me with college so I got in the trade and was gonna go for my EE afterwards but I ended up meeting my wife and having a kid before I got my journeyman certificate lol.

Last edited: